Thursday, February 17, 2011

vampires

They're after me.

They want my blood.

They're ruthless.

First, they call the house looking for me, and if I don't pick up, they immediately call my cell phone. I changed the caller ID on my cellphone from "unknown" to "vampires", but they switched phones and I was caught off guard and answered my cell phone the other day. They caught me, and of course when they can get to me I am under their spell and can't say no... They must really love my O positive blood.

Of course in this story, I feel like the bad guy.

I really want to do the right thing and donate blood, but it hurts alot, that needle is the biggest thing I have ever seen. A sharpened straw really. And I feel like crud for the rest of the day.

But I know my excuses are lame.

"It hurts. " Yes, I am sure the guy who is desperate need for my blood can sympathize. I envision operating tables and big giant gashes in dramatic life threatening situations (a la ER or Grey's Anatomy).

"I don't like needles." I doubt scalpels are that much fun either.

"I'm busy" As if they didn't have busy lives before some tragic accident got in the way.

"I feel like crud for the rest of the day." Once again, I'm sure the person bleeding all over the ER can sympathize with my plight.

And yet, when I see that word "Vampires" pop up on my cell phone, I have to make a snap decision to answer or not, cause I know how lame my excuses sound when said out loud. Usually my thought process is something like "Wow I am super busy this week. Maybe my schedule will be a little more open the next time they call." And so I let it go to voice mail. Over and over again.

Of course, they got tricky and changed phone numbers and I answered and conceded to show up. Today. Except I messed up the dates and have a dentist appointment scheduled for the exact same time, so I can't make it cause I have a legitimate excuse. (for once)

I'm not a big fan of dentist's offices either. They tend to like to poke me with needles as well.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I feel the same way about donating. I have to talk myself out of canceling every time my appointment rolls around.