Really, and truly, if you had asked me if I could go to any concert, I would have said the Beatles.
Of course, I knew this couldn't happen cause the band broke up and two of them are dead, so that kinda puts a damper on things, but still, a girl could dream.
And then one day it happened.
John was to attend a big computer conference in Vegas, and the end of the conference party included a concert with none other than Sir Paul McCartney.
We hit a couple snags in getting me the actual ticket though.
The tickets were for conference attendees only. We could buy me a guest pass, but that would cost $500. (I still would have paid it, it totally would have been worth it to realize a lifetime dream come true, but that's a lot of money to cough up.) I guess the steep price tag is cause it comes with a reception with an open bar, and all you can eat crappy conference appetizers, so clearly I wasn't gonna get my money's worth there.
To get a ticket, you had to stand in line, show your conference badge, and picture ID, and they gave you a sparkly bracelet which you had to put on right then and there, and your ticket. If you want to sit next to a particular someone (in this case your spouse) you had to stand in line together. It was looking like we were gonna have to cough up the dough and pay for it, plus, by the time I got into town, ( a day after they started handing out tickets) I was certain any decent seats would be long gone.
Anyway, as it turns out, being married to a well liked guy has it's perks. One of John's friends who wasn't going to be attending the concert anyway, was happy to give me his ticket. (and seeing how the ticket was included in the price of his convention pass.... it would have been a shame to waste it) John's helped him out on more than one occasion, and he was happy to return the favor. He even stood in line with John, obtained the ticket
and bracelet, jimmied open the locking mechanism on the bracelet with an eyeglass screwdriver,
and let me borrow his convention badge. Actually I wore John's cause just in case anybody was paying attention (they weren't) we could say it was a misprint, and my name is really Joan. (you needed all three to get into the concert)
That guy is so getting caramels next time John sees him.
Anyway, BEST CONCERT EVER.
John even said so.
I felt a little guilty saying it was better than Harry Connick, jr, who puts on a great show, totally entertaining, but wow, start to finish-
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
I don't even know where to begin?
The venue was small, so there really wasn't a bad seat.
First off, I have to mention that when Paul stepped out on stage, I heard a guy behind me make some joke- "Hey, I thought we were here to see Paul McCartney? Who's that old guy?"
I think he ate his words pretty quick- because for an old guy (he will be 70 next year)- He Still Has It. You could just tell he loved his job. He loved performing. He was funny, and amazing, and talented, and he shared stories, and he rocked. Really Rocked.
In fact you could tell his whole band thought they each had the best job in the whole world. Especially his drummer. He was hilarious. He oozed personality and joy.
We heard Beatles songs, some Wings songs (his group after the Beatles) and even some new stuff. Even a tribute to John Lennon, which was really touching.
The pyrotechnics were awesome, John said they were the best he's ever seen, and he grew up going to 80's rock concerts, so I am assuming he's seen his fair share.
And the computer graphics, videos, images, were awesome too. Apparently the amount of storage space used impressed John, and storage is his specialty.
I confess I was a little worried before going, Worried he wouldn't live up to my expectations. (life long dreams have generally come with high expectations) Worried that it was just a paycheck for him, that he might not give his all as he played a bunch of tired old songs for a bunch of drunk computer geeks who most likely just there cause work paid for it. (of course afterwards I did a little research and in 2010, he was one of the richest men in the UK, which means he doesn't need to work-I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he still performs because he can, because he loves it)

2 comments:
FAB-U-LOUS!!!!! I'm SO glad you got to go! What a fun event!
so fun. lucky lucky girl!
Post a Comment