Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I don't want to brag, but...

Nick doesn't win many awards.

Despite being pretty smart, he hasn't made the honor roll in years. I've never met another kid who has such a positive attitude about school and learning, yet can't manage to turn in his homework. If grades were limited to the work done in the classroom, Nick would be a straight A student. I know this. I have hope that he can perform a miraculous transformation and he can pull off a 4.0 in the very near future, and as a mother I will always bet on my children, but the current state of his science grade doesn't bode well for a 4.0 this particular semester.

He works hard at his viola, but there seems to always be someone else better.  Whether they have more natural talent, or practice more or both, the glory of first chair has never been his.  Besides, the viola isn't really an instrument to play if you are looking for glory and acclaim.  That honor lies with the violins.  The first chair violin is the most coveted spot in the whole orchestra.  And the violins and the cellos tend to get most of the solos.  Violas are pretty much there for support.  They add depth to the music. Important, but if you seek the spotlight, it's not the instrument for you.

He's never been MVP despite the fact that he does his best at whatever sport he is asked to do.  He consistently gets A's in PE (they grade on effort and participation) but when he tried out for baseball the conversation went something like this "Well, you can run, but you can't hit, or throw, or catch..." (he didn't make the team)  Once, he was even on a soccer team where the coach handed out all sorts of awards for most improved, etc, and Nick was one of two kids on the whole team that didn't get any kind of award, except the participation trophy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of rewarding mediocrity, but in cases like the coach giving out special awards to all but a couple just annoyed me. If he had awarded one or two kids, I wouldn't have blinked, but it felt like he was purposely hurting my child so that we wouldn't sign up on his team again. (the parents of the other kid felt the same way)

I'm not saying that an award is any measure of a person's worth.  Awards aren't given for many of the things that Nick is so great at.  On Sundays he shows up early and stays late to do his priesthood duties, and I've never heard him complain.  I don't have to push or prod for him to get ready, he is always ready to go without a single word from me or his father.

He's never too busy to play with Christopher, or help his sister with her homework, even if they aren't being the nicest to him.  (which sadly seems to be more often than not)

And he might not notice when the garbage needs to be taken out, but will always stop whatever he's doing and take it out immediately.  Or if he catches me taking it out, 100% of the time, he will say "Here, mom let me do that for you."

So anyway, Nick doesn't win many awards.  Until this week. He won not one, but two.

He is the Student of the Month at his school. 

They surprised him in science yesterday.  His orchestra teacher put his name in the drawing, and I love what she said-  "THE most helpful and upbeat student I have ever met...."

I guess he has made a pretty big impression over there because he also won Student of the Month for the Performing Arts department as well.   

At first glance you'd think the school wide honor was the better one.  He got a candy bar and a coupon for a free cookie and a fancy certificate.  He will also have his picture on the school website.  (which is kinda funny since he won the award for his positive attitude, but in his school picture he looks pretty angry. )

I'm not sure the Performing Arts award came with any treats or even a certificate.  His picture is on a bulletin board in the hallway outside his orchestra class. 

My favorite line part, "Even though he is a freshman, he shows tremendous initiative.  He also brightens everyone's day with his continuously upbeat and enthusiastic personality!"

But I think it is the greater award because the teachers all got together and decided he was the student who deserved it this month.  With the school wide award, Nick's name was put into a drawing along with other deserving kids, and it was mere chance that his name was drawn.  (At least that's my understanding of the process)

It's touching that although she put him down for the school award, his orchestra teacher ensured he won the departmental award.  (I'm sure his drama teacher had something to do with it too)

Anyway,  Nick is pretty touched and a little blown away by it all. 

And I'm just so glad to see that every once in awhile, nice guys do finish first.

3 comments:

Ms. Muppettt said...

Congrats, Nick! What an honor to have your school recognize your outstanding character--not merely the things you do but the kind of person you are. Positive, enthusiastic, helpful, nice guys do finish first in the end. Kindness is not easily forgotten.

Rachel said...

Awesome. Well deserved!

Shelly said...

You should brag! Congrats to Nick :)