Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cinderella

Nick woke up Sunday morning at nine am, which seriously might be a record for him.  He is definitely a morning person.  After getting a solid 8+ hours of sleep (he didn't get home until midnight because of a cast party), he couldn't understand why he was just "so tired".   After all, it was the best night's sleep he's had in weeks.

I told him it was my theory that he'd been so dang busy these past couple weeks, at the school rehearsing until after 8 every night, then home to do homework after whatever other obligations he had, that his brain knew that rest wasn't possible until after Cinderella was over.  And when Sunday came, his body knew it was Sunday and it was finally allowed to be exhausted.

I've seen that before.  When John and I were first married, John worked like a horse six days a week.  He went to school full time, (graduated magna cum laude), and put in 60+ hours of work in every single week.  Sunday was his only day off.  Somehow his body knew this, and so he was sick in bed every single Sunday.  It was as if his body was saying, "You are going to lay down and rest if I have to make you."

Despite all the hard work, the hours and hours of rehearsal, the late nights with homework (he even managed to bring up his science grade during this time), Nick had fun.  His biggest regret is they won't be doing another musical for two years. 

They did a great job.  It was really cute.  I took Maddie and Zach one night, and John and I went another.  We got the VIP tickets, they are twice as much, but it supports the programs that my kid benefits from, plus during intermission you get to go on stage, interact with the actors, and they serve you "tea" (kool-aid) and cake (Little Debbie snack cakes).

And you can pose with the props and the actors.  My kids loved it.






And just a little side story- Someone brought their cub scout troop to see the play, and the story goes that at one point (intermission I think) they were all peering down on the musicians,
 making the musicians feel like they were the animals in a cage at the zoo, and saying things like "die pit monsters, die!" and chucking cheese balls at them.  Nick started a campaign to hang up this sign,

and was finally able to do so on the last day.  He was very proud of it. The musical director for the play was the choir teacher, and he was against it, but the orchestra teacher was all for it and let him use her computer to print it out.  I'm told at least one of the older violinists were against it, but everyone who knew and loved Nick were happy for his victory.

2 comments:

The Chamberlain Family said...

Yeah for Nick! I think that's hilarious and I'm glad he got to put that sign up! What a funny story!

Rachel said...

My girls loved the play. I love how involved Nick is. He's such a good boy!