Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Home Sweet Home

I've often said (or I might have mentioned it once or twice to my family) that I love the smell of my home after a long trip.

I'm not sure what it is, whether I've become unaccustomed to the smell of my house, or after a month of not having a bunch of smelly people living here, my house sorta reverts back to it's "true smell", but it's a scent I usually only notice after long absences.  

It's hard to put my finger on it, kinda fruity, kinda flowery, but after a month away, all it means to me is "home."

That's what I was expecting. 

That's not what I returned home to after 5 weeks away. 

I came home to something that made me totally gag. 

It took a few minutes of searching my home for garbage that wasn't taken out, or a toilet that wasn't flushed, or a sink full of dirty dishes, or forgotten produce, or a dead body, before we located the source of the smell. 

The freezer in my garage died. A whole big freezer full of rotting meat and pounds and pounds of liquified, rancid butter. A Costco sized bag of meatballs exploded upon touch, and the box of pot pies was totally liquified.  Everything just oozed.  Hundreds of dollars of wasted, rotting, putrescent food. 

And the smell. Oh the smell. I won't even park my car in the garage. 

Bleach. Baking soda. Cat litter. Charcoal. Vanilla. I'm trying all the tips from the internet with only minimal success. 

I haven't even figured out if the freezer is worth saving. It's less than three years old, and we're not sure why it failed. 

Anyway, we're home. 

But I won't say it's "sweet" right now.  But I'm working on it. 

No comments: