Monday, April 4, 2016

Twelfth Night

Maddie loves to tech.  She loves to build stuff. She frequently comes home covered in paint, and I've almost stopped being annoyed.  Almost. "Why do you have paint on your clothes? Why didn't you paint in your shop clothes? You know, the ones you are supposed to change into anytime you might be doing anything that might ruin whatever clothes you actually wore to school?"

Her answers vary, but at the end of the day, that usually just means another article of clothing with a new paint splotch on it. Thankfully she doesn't wear expensive or trendy clothes, and the presence of a paint splotch is just annoying, not a death sentence to that particular article of clothing.

And apparently she's a rock star when it comes to stage management.  She's good at bossing people around (this I knew) and she stays cool under pressure.  During times of stress where most high schoolers crack, she manages beautifully.  (According to her drama teacher.)

But because she seems bound and determined to not let her high school years pass her up without experiencing everything, when the drama department decided to put on Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, she decided that this time she wanted to act.  Her opportunities to "do Shakespeare" might not be many, so she jumped at it while she could.

Given that there are way more girls than boys in the drama department, and this particular play only has three roles for girls, she went for one of those.  But, she didn't want too many lines, memorizing modern English is hard enough, so she tried out for Maria.  Maria is a pretty main character with like 90 lines and a monologue or two, but not as many as the lead.

And so guess what role she got?  (And nailed, btw)

Maria :)

Maria was pretty much the villain.  But you still liked her.  She was a trouble maker, but not necessarily a bad person.

I personally think she stole the show.  It was so fun to watch her.

Now she has to make some decisions. Acting?  Or stage management?  Rumor has it she may even be directing a show next year.
Maddie after the show.  Clearly she's still buzzing from the high of performing. 
I got to help out a bit too.  In addition to selling the tickets at the door,  Dr K, the drama teacher, asked me to wear this for a bit and open the doors when someone on the headset said it was time to do so. I texted this selfie to Maddie as I knew she would appreciate seeing her mom wearing a techie headset.  I was right.  Her response- "This makes me so happy."

No comments: