Monday, November 3, 2008

a dead cow

We went to a good-bye party for some dear friends the other night. They are moving to St. George Utah this weekend, and we will miss them dearly. So we went to their house for a little gathering of their closest friends and as usual Jayson put on quite a spread. He's a professional chef, and he never disappoints. This time he had crab cakes, shrimp, chicken, and beef tenderloin amongst other stuff. At least I think it was beef tenderloin, I am only making this guess based on my education from watching Good Eats, and my faith in Jayson that he usually puts out the best. (tenderloin is top-notch beef, FYI) And wow. If it wasn't tenderloin it did a really good impression of one.

I got to take home leftovers. Merry Christmas to me. I sliced some up, had heated some up in the microwave for dinner. John was on the couch with his legs propped up, so I joined him on the couch and shared my dinner with him. We ate with our fingers. Off one paper plate. I know, classy. Nick and Madison had some too, and then Zach asked what we were eating. I hold out the plate for his inspection, and say "A dead cow. You wanna try it?" And you know what? he did! Without being coerced, he reached out, picked a piece off my plate, and stuck it in his mouth. And then eyeing the last piece on the plate, he said, "I like it. Can I have that one too?" Needless to say, he got it. If he's gonna try something new, I'm gonna encourage it.

So a few minutes later, we started FHE, and Madison was in charge of picking people to do stuff, and she kept trying to get Zach involved, but all we got out of him was "Not now! I'm eating my dead cow!"

No comments: