Thursday, May 20, 2010

why baking and drugs don't mix

I'm doing better than I expected, for the most part anyway. The last time I had that tooth worked on, I was in a sorry state. Even with the drugs I was pretty miserable.

This time was a little better. I even made it to Zach's and Maddie's piano recital last night. I was tired and really loopy, but I still enjoyed it. I didn't even think to bring a camera, (no surprise there) but luckily they had someone else taking pictures. I think I'll do a whole blog post on their piano recital when I get the pictures.

Today was actually worse than yesterday. I don't know if I over did it or what, but I wasn't up to much today. My biggest accomplishments for the day are that I took a shower, got half the dishes done, and tried to bake.

I need to take a dish to a baptism on Saturday morning. They sent around a sign-up sheet at church for people to sign up for donuts or milk. I want to help and contribute, but would you think less of me if I said I felt donuts were beneath me? Absolutely there are certain times when donuts are the answer. I LOVE a good donut, but if I'm going to sign up for a baked good, to help celebrate a special day in someone else's life, I want to bring something a little bit nicer.

I remembered my mom talking about these Lemony Blueberry Streusel bars and I thought that was the perfect answer to my dilemma of what to bring. (It's at 7:30 in the morning) So I thought I would make a trial batch to see how they turned out.

Unfortunately while the Percocet makes me feel better, it also makes it difficult to think straight. And so it is with that clouded judgment I attempted to make something I have never made before, and won't even be able to taste until tomorrow morning. (after my final weigh in!)

They mostly turned out okay, except I only put in half the amount of butter in the crust. (It calls for two cubes, I only put in one) I thought the texture was too dry, but proceeded anyway. I think the rest of it is okay- (I haven't tasted it yet) but the crust is definitely to dry. Too powdery even.

So tomorrow I think I shall sober up and try again. -you can look for the follow-up on my food blog if they're successful.

Apparently blogging and drugs don't mix either. I had typed this whole entry in my food blog before I realized that I was in the wrong place. I had to get John help me fix it.

1 comment:

AZ Smurfette said...

HILARIOUS! you made my morning. :) LOL. I'll be right over to sample those, mmm.