Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I'm rubber, you're glue

With the help of my mom banning it over the summer, I have been able to successfully break my kids of their TV addiction. More specifically their addiction to the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

It's been heaven. I thought I was going to go crazy if I had to watch the same stupid re-runs of Zack and Cody or iCarly one more time. Or if I had to listen to the whining and the begging when I did assert my parental control over them and turn it off myself.

Anyway, after a moratorium from my mother (it's been awhile since she has had to tune out idiotic television) the kids finally came to a realization that they could indeed live without turning their brains to mush on a daily basis.

And so the TV stays off, for the most part. We're a little more selective with what we watch these days.

A few weeks ago John discovered a new channel that popped up on our cable. Hub. Who knows how long it's been there? I stopped channel surfing a long time ago, because when I actually sit down to watch TV, I have plenty of "my shows" recorded on the DVR to catch up on.

Anyway, on this particular channel, they show reruns of Family Ties.

Quality Television right there.

John and I were both excited. When he was younger, he wanted to be Alex P. Keaton, and when I was younger I was in love with Alex P. Keaton. (clearly John and I were made for each other from an early age)

So as I do with any show, I started DVR-ing them. Then, at my leisure, I can plop myself down on the couch, put my feet up, and take a break for a half hour or so.

The other day I was doing just that when the kids came home from school. I felt I deserved a break after squeezing lemons for the past two hours. Madison sat down next to me, watched the rest of the show, then looked at me and said:

"Wow, mom. I can't believe you like that show. It's even dumber than anything on the Disney Channel."

Is not.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

She doesn't know what she's talking about. One of the best shows on television right there. (and I usd to be in love with Alex P. Keaton, too! hee hee.

AZ Smurfette said...

LOL that's funny! LOVE the side pony K :)

Rees Family said...

Waiting for the post titled 'The Cookies Have Arrived!!!'. I'm DYING here. Love Family Ties. I'm currently channel searching my tv for Hub. No luck. :( Need cookies asap!!!

jams and pickles said...

I'm LOVING the preteen picture!! You are adorable. I too was in love with Alex P. When and what channel are you finding the reruns! Oh, and good luck with the furniture saga. It's so hard to believe when you keep thinking to yourself, "Wait a minute, I''m paying YOU?!"

Lisa said...

So funny! I loved Alex P. Keaton too well really Michael J Fox! Family Ties was one of my most favorite shows! Kids these days just don't know a good show when they see one!