Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Italy- part 1

I've been home for a few days now, but I've been putting off blogging because I just don't know where to begin.  I want to get it all down before I forget, but there's just so much, and I've been kinda feeling run-down lately and don't know if it's jet lag, exhaustion from the whirlwind trip, or the allergy medicine I've been taking to curb the desire to scratch my eyes out, or some combination of the above.

Anyway.

This was another "work" trip for John, but it worked out just right that some good friends of ours got to come with us.  They were (are?) a little wary about traveling outside of the country alone, and were happy to let us be the tour guides.  (And with a little help from Rick Steves, we were happy to do so)

Our first stop was Rome.

Rome is crazy.  I loved it. It's a big city, full of cars and people, modern life mixed with ancient life...Afterwards I always wish I had taken more pictures.  I took lots of pictures of the usual stuff, but very little of Rome LIFE.  Of course I probably wouldn't know how to use pictures to describe how they are the craziest drivers ever.  I think they think signs and stop lights and the lines painted on the roads are more like suggestions.  I never saw so many scraped up cars.  I could have taken a picture of the crazy parking spots, at least.  I found it pretty funny that many drivers of Smart cars would 'perpendicular park' their cars in the 'parallel' parking spots. (I've mentioned before that I'm easily entertained?)

So, Rome.

First we hit the Spanish Steps.  It's like a hang-out spot for tourists and locals alike.  So naturally you will find those unsavory types trying to make a quick Euro off Stupid American Tourists.  They're at every major attraction in Europe.  Mostly they just try to get you to buy cheap junk.  One guy practically shoved roses into Mindy's and my hands then demanded payment from our husbands.  It kinda ruins it, which really annoys the snot out of me. 


I thought this guy was hilarious with his crazy eyes.  Not sure who he is.
Next, the Trevi fountain. Besides being a pretty amazing fountain, you're supposed to throw your coins in backwards to ensure your trip back to Rome. 

We made our way to the Pantheon.  I was pretty excited about this stop.  It was high on my list of "must see things".  I wasn't disappointed, I thought it was pretty amazing.  Crowded, but still... a few fun facts- "Pantheon" means "all- gods."  It was built as a sort of temple where you could go and worship whichever pagan god was your current favorite.  Later, it was converted to a Christian church. (that's why it survived) It's the best preserved building from ancient Rome.  The outside has been stripped of it's marble, but the building is still completely intact. The building is almost 2000 years old, and was an engineering marvel in it's day.  It's exactly as tall as it is wide.  The dome has inspired other famous domes throughout history including St. Peter's (which I will talk about later) and even the US Capitol building.

Sorry, my "inside" pictures aren't that great.

This Egyptian obelisk is just outside the Pantheon.  There's a few of them scattered around Rome, treasures brought to the city from conquered lands.  They are pretty much the oldest pieces of art in Europe.  (Of course, I can't not mention the cross plopped on the top of it.) 

After a few hours of walking and sight seeing, it was time for some gelato.  

Guess what flavor John is sampling?

(he was joking around and asked the guy if it was one of their big sellers.  The guy offered John a sample.  So he tried it.  ) 

That's all for now.  I'm not even slightly finished with day one.  but it's late, and I'm tired.

2 comments:

Beverly B. said...

I've been to all those places:) So fun! Makes me want to go back.

AZ Smurfette said...

THAT'S IT??? John tried the Viagra gelato and...... LOL