Last time I was serious about dieting, I found myself drawn to cookbooks, and blogs about cooking. Or more accurately, BAKING.
It occurred to me one evening as I sat in a dark room, alone with a computer, while everyone else was asleep, as I was pouring over various websites with glorious pictures of the most amazing looking desserts that I had a pornography problem.
Only not the kind of pornography that the rest of the world thinks of. That kind of stuff holds no allure for me. I'm talking about cakes, and cookies, and pies, and tarts, and candies, and cupcakes and all manner of glorious confections for me to fantasize over.
So, after almost three weeks on weight watchers, I am finding myself drawn back into that world. I've steered clear of the usual problem areas. I don't allow myself to peruse the cookbooks at the book store at all. There was a time when I might have gone over there with the plan to find a healthier eating cookbook, and walk out with a book on decorating cupcakes. (true story)
But I wasn't prepared for pinterest.
I had avoided it up until now as I had heard that it was a "total time suck" (hours can go by with no notice) and then there's issues like staring at pictures of other rooms with the intention of getting inspiration to redecorate your own home, can lead to a dissatisfaction in what you already have.
But someone showed me the app and how it was all too easy, and soon I was mesmerized by pictures of places I'd like to visit, and cute ideas for just about everything, and tips for cleaning my house, and quotes that made me laugh or think or smile, and recipes.
Oh, the recipes.
Cause my mom probably has no idea what pinterest is, I will explain briefly. In the same way that once upon a time people would cut things out of magazines and file them away, or hang them on a bulletin board for inspiration or whatever, now there is a website dedicated to doing all that virtually. You set up your "boards" or files, and as you look at picture after picture of everything under the sun that everyone else has posted, you can choose to "repin" those pictures to your own boards, to save for a later date, and everyone you know will see what you chose to pin, and they might like what you liked, and choose to repin it, and it goes on like that. I just ran across this hilarious article on the subject, which totally falls into the "it's funny cause it's true" category.
So, yes, recently I've spent a little bit of time perusing the pictures.
After only a few days, the patterns that are emerging on what interest me the most aren't that surprising. I won't give you a complete run down, but at the low end, "healthier living" comes in with four pins on that board, "for the home" has 14 pins, "places I'd like to visit" has 40, and "recipes to try" is leading with 56 pins. (and yes, there are a few ideas for redecorating, though at this moment I am choosing to focus on what is plausible, and I will worry about my gorgeous kitchen remodel later should it ever become a reality.)
And you'd be right in supposing that 90% of the recipes aren't exactly diet friendly. Of course I could have a piece of a chocolate mousse brownie, I just have to count the points. (After making sure I have enough in the first place, and then not have seconds or thirds)
The point of weight watchers is that nothing is forbidden, and you have choices, but you do quickly learn that if you make good choices you get to eat more food , and if you make bad choices, you might be out of points before you ever even sit down to dinner.
While there is definitely not the same feeling of forbidden-ness that I had with catz (brownies were NEVER okay) I still find myself sitting alone in a room, staring at a computer screen and fantasizing about what I really shouldn't have.
And I know it's very closed-minded of me, but I have a hard time with recipes that are lightened up. SOME are very, very good. SOME have me begging for the recipe. But for the most part, if I am going to have a dessert, I want a good dessert. Not an 'okay' one, I want to really enjoy those points, not just wishing I was enjoying them.
Anyway, the old saying is still true. "We want what we can't have." And I want cake. And cookies. And gooey caramel bars. And homemade bread with homemade cinnamon honey butter. And cute holiday themed treats.
Darn you, food porn!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment