Thursday, September 20, 2012

Who am I?

Ok, so all this talking and thinking about Les Mis has got me so excited for the movie.

This little youtube video just popped up on my facebook page today. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwgQjfg0hZw&feature=plcp

Normally I keep my feelings and expectations in check because rarely do movies ever live up to my lowest expectations, but I think somehow I will be blown away. (I hope, I hope, I hope)

Keeping with the title of this post, I'd like to focus on the actors they chose.  Normally, when they pick an actor for a well known character (cough, cough, Robert Pattinson) I'm usually like, Really?!? Him/her?!?, but thankfully not so much this time.

I think Hugh Jackman was probably the perfect choice for Jean Valjean because besides being a big name movie star, he's also an accomplished Broadway performer and has even won a Tony.

I don't know so much about Russell Crowe, (and his musical experience, except I heard he has a band) plus, I think he looks like he will make an awesome Javert.

Of course I'll hold off my final judgment until I see him sing 'Stars'. He better nail it. (of course, that doesn't look like a guy you'd threaten)

I'm really excited about Eponine.  She's not a big name movie star, but she played Eponine in the 25th anniversary production of Les Mis.  The one with Nick Jonas that played on PBS a couple years ago. 

But I'm really, really, excited about the Bishop.  You know, that small part at the beginning, the guy that gives Jean Valjean the candlesticks and changes the course of his life?  That guy. 

Guess who's playing that part?  Colm Wilkinson!   

I know you all know who I am talking about, but just in case someone is having a brain fart and can't place the face with the name, he is the original Jean Valjean

As in, he was the first person ever cast as Jean Valjean when it opened in London in 1985, and then when it came to Broadway in 1987, the producers wanted to cast him again as Jean Valjean, but were told no, becuase only American actors can perform on Broadway, so the producers said "Well, if that's the case, then we were just kidding, we don't want to come to America anyway."  And so the powers that be said they were just kidding, and so Colm Wilkinson was the original Jean Valjean in both London and Broadway. 

That's pretty cool huh?

Three more months :)  I can't wait!  (please, please, please don't disappoint) (but I don't think it will!)

~~~~~

"And so Javert, you see it's true, that man bears no more guilt than you.  Who am I? 24601!" - Jean Valjean from Les Miserables

2 comments:

Ady Hahn said...

Les Mis is one of my all-time favorite books. I've only seen the musical on PBS, so I'm looking forward to this movie!

Anonymous said...

I too am antsy with anticipation!! Loved the extended preview. Thanks for sharing!