Christmas. It happened. It always happens, even if you don't "recognize" it, it still happens.
But it was good. It's always good I think. Setting aside a day to celebrate the birth of the Savior. That's definitely a good thing. And it could be argued that the day has transformed into something else, materialistic, and commercial, and stressful, and maybe it is all of that, but somehow it's still so much more than trees and presents and gingerbread houses and cookies and Santa and Christmas carols.
And sometimes I wonder what all that has to do with the blessed event of the birth of our Savior, and the answer is probably "nothing", but then again, I think the Savior delights in joy, and families, and giving, and music, and finding a reason to be together. So Christmas happened, and it was good.
As per tradition, we all opened pajamas on Christmas eve. Christopher was happy to just get pajama pants. (Mens extra small - still a little too big) For some reason kids pajamas always comes with a shirt, and this mortally offends him for some reason, probably because everyone else only gets pants. (except for maddie this year, who really, really, really wanted a onesie. Besides being a Star Wars nerd, in the tech world, the tech side of things is "the Dark Side" because they are always in the dark - vs the actors who are in the light.)
Maddie got the number one thing she was hoping for on her wish list.
I surprised Christopher with an alarm control panel courtesy of one of my co-workers. He was so excited. He "works on it" all the time.
I managed to find the Back to the Future hat Zach wanted.
Maddie decided she liked it more than Zach and tried to steal it. And then she took a dozen selfies on my phone.
The grandparents came down to spend the week with us.
And of course we got to talk to Nick. That was wonderful. I miss that kid so much. Christmas was definitely lacking something, but he was so happy. I held it together until we got off the computer, and then it hit me that he's gone. And not just on a mission gone, but growing up gone. He may come home in 18 months, but he won't be my little boy anymore. All good changes to be sure, except the part where I succeeded in raising someone only to have him leave home. I'm not so thrilled about that plan any more. It's still the plan for the other three, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.
But yeah, Christmas was good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment