Last week, Madison performed for her very first time ever on stage. She's proven herself to be a force to be reckoned with backstage, and she wanted to mix it up a little bit. She did awesome. She did tell me that she tried to soften the edges of her character.
Maddie- "I don't like her. She's not very nice."
Me- "That's the fun of acting! You get to be someone else! You get to be 'not very nice'!"
Well, at any rate, one of the Senior girls came up to me and told me how awesome she thinks Maddie is, and that next year she's going to be running the place. She will pretty much have her pick of roles on stage or off. They've even already unofficially voted, and they want Maddie to direct the Performance Troupe show next year.
My hopes and dreams for her include her getting a job on a Disney Cruise ship as a stage manager for their many shows, and hopefully that job will include awesome perks like free passes for her mom.
Christopher was in his 4th grade production of a revue of Mary Poppins. It was so fantastic. Even having all the songs in my head for the last month were totally worth it. He's been singing them all month long, and was super excited when I busted out my old Disney music CD's from the 90's.
But seriously though, watching his enthusiasm was so worth it. He sang all the songs, and awkwardly did all the motions, and the only time he wasn't standing still, was when he just couldn't contain his excitement.
He even had a little dance number on stage to "Step in Time". (which is totally running through my head right now) It was fantastic. And in my humble opinion, my kid stole the show.
We had to scramble to find him a costume that morning (because we forgot) so his pants were a few inches too short, and his bow tie and suspenders were borrowed from his brother. I love that he isn't overly concerned with appearances. Ridiculously short pants could have been a serious issue with his siblings. (Maybe not Nick though....)
We raced from Christopher's production at his school, to Zach's band concert at the high school. (So, in two days, that's live theatre, a musical revue, and a band concert.) I'd missed the last concert, and I didn't want to miss this one. It's so fun to watch the kids develop. We were pretty late, and so when we walked in I was sure that we had walked in on the 8th grade performing. Thanking my lucky stars that I didn't miss it, and found a seat clear in the back. (the place was packed) I couldn't see the trumpet section from my vantage point, so I wasn't entirely sure that Zach was in fact on the stage, so it was a nice surprise when they announced that the 8th grade would be coming up next, and an added bonus when I realized that Zach's group was much better than I thought they were. (What a difference a year makes!) I can't wait to see how much he progresses in the years to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment