John bought me the book several years ago, cause he knew I loved the movie. I think I had read the book many years ago, like when I was 12, but had totally forgotten about it. It was the 25th anniversary edition, and it had an introduction by William Goldman. So I read it through in like a day (my usual time frame for a book I'm really into). Like I said Mr. Goldman claims to have abridged the book because the original had all this extraneous info in it adding several hundred pages, so he takes that out and then tells you what it was and why he took it out. The story of Buttercup and Westley and all the rest is frequently interrupted by Mr. Goldman in italicized text giving you explanations and personal info on the book.
He starts off telling you about his childhood and his father reading the book to him, and finally as a father with a son of his own wanting to share that with him, but to his surprise finding out that the original was out of print, and when he finally tracks down a copy he feels compelled to write a "good parts" version to share with his own son. (His own father "edited" the book as he read it.) He chronicles his problems with Mr. Morgenstern's estate lawyers from Florin (the setting of the story and incidentally the country where Mr. Goldman's father is from), etc., etc. Although I found the interruptions somewhat irritating at times, throughout all his explanations, I went from thinking the story merely fun and entertaining, to maybe perhaps it might be based in reality. To further cement that idea, didn't I just make a total scene at the Phoenix Zoo awhile ago the first time I laid eyes on these giant rat-like creatures? (Kappaburras- sp?)me-"ROUS's!!! ROUS's!!!"
my friend with a look on her face that says she clearly thinks I've lost my mind- "Huh?"
me- "ROUS's!!! Rodents Of Unusual Size!?!?"
her- (blank stare)
me "The Princess Bride!?! Rodents of Unusual Size!?!- you know!!! ROUS's!?!"
her- "um, no, I never saw that movie."
me- (my turn for blank, uncomprehending stare)
So you know, if a (milder) version of ROUS's exist, and the Cliffs of Insanity have become a tourist destination, and Florin and Guilder were at least at one point real countries in Europe then what's to say that maybe the book might be based somewhat on fact? Even if embellished liberally? Oh and you can even write to the publishing company and get a copy of "a reunion scene" that William Goldman wanted to add to the story, but because of complications with the lawyers, he couldn't add. I found a link on a website where I can request a copy of that scene sent to my e-mail but all I got was a copy of an apology because of legal problems they couldn't send that out at this time.
And at the end of the book, he includes a copy of the first chapter of 'Buttercup's Baby' the sequel to 'The Princess Bride' which he himself just recently became aware of. And the story behind deciding to abridge that. So 'Buttercup's Baby' totally leaves you at this awful cliffhanger where Fezzik (Andre the Giant) throws himself off a cliff (the cliffs of insanity) to save Waverly (Buttercup's and Westley's baby) because she was thrown off the cliff by the guy who kidnapped her.
So that's where you are left. With a million questions! Does Fezzik die? Does Waverly? Who was the kidnapper? and why? etc. etc. So immediately I ran to the computer to my beloved Amazon.com to order my copy, but what I found out was more than I ever imagined.
1- There is no S. Morgenstern
And at the end of the book, he includes a copy of the first chapter of 'Buttercup's Baby' the sequel to 'The Princess Bride' which he himself just recently became aware of. And the story behind deciding to abridge that. So 'Buttercup's Baby' totally leaves you at this awful cliffhanger where Fezzik (Andre the Giant) throws himself off a cliff (the cliffs of insanity) to save Waverly (Buttercup's and Westley's baby) because she was thrown off the cliff by the guy who kidnapped her.
So that's where you are left. With a million questions! Does Fezzik die? Does Waverly? Who was the kidnapper? and why? etc. etc. So immediately I ran to the computer to my beloved Amazon.com to order my copy, but what I found out was more than I ever imagined.1- There is no S. Morgenstern
2- there is no Florin or Guilder
3- There are no ongoing lawsuits with Mr. Morgenstern's estate
4- he has two daughters, not a fat son named Jason.
5- William Goldman made it all up.
6- etc. etc.
7- worst of all, Buttercup's baby has yet to be written. Rumor has it by the 35th anniversary edition of 'The Princess Bride', but I'm not holding my breath.
So after that all sunk in, I started to see the genius of it all. He not only TOLD me a good story, he was able to SELL it to me. Back when I first read it, I desperately needed someone to read it so I could talk to them about it, but I had to wait like 3 years for my chance to host book club.Fortunately for me, I wasn't the only one who was fooled. One friend was looking for the unabridged version because William Goldman's interruptions really irritated her. (But when I told her the real story, she found them really amusing.) At least half the other women here last night admitted to being taken in.
It was fun- about a dozen people showed up, I deliberated for several weeks about what to serve. I even dreamt about stressing over doing a wedding cake, but since I don't do wedding cakes, I woke up in a total panic and called my mom. She came up with the best idea of all and reminded me of the cake pan I got from my sister in law last year for my birthday.

2 comments:
I had a great time - THANKS! I hope you got to the party last night at B&N. I ordered my copy from Amazon so I will have it in a few days. Happy reading!
Blythe recently saw the movie at a sleepover and loved it. She has been asking everyone she knows if they have ever seen it. I can't believe your friend has never seen it, although I would have probably given you a blank stare too since I haven't seen the movie in ages. Yummy looking desserts. The castle cake was perfect.
Post a Comment