
Like so many others, I have stayed up way past my bedtime watching the Olympics these past couple weeks. There have been points when I have been on the edge of my seat, holding my breath for the outcome. Gymnastics and swimming have always been favorites of mine. Gymnastics because I'm a girl and most girls like that kind of stuff, and it's absolutely fascinating at what those bodies can do. Swimming because growing up swimming was a major part of our family. My little brother Rich was an awesome swimmer and at one time was even an Olympic hopeful. I think he still holds some school records more than a decade later.
Despite my angst towards the location of the Olympics (China never should have got them) and I think many judging portions of the Olympics were ridiculously biased (I think some of the judges have been bribed). I think that the Olympics are a fabulous event to showcase what the human body and spirit are capable of. The beauty, the strength, the speed, the grace, the endurance, the willpower. W-O-W
Admittedly most of the time I sit there a little envious that these athletes are achieving something I could never dream of. I have known from a very young age that athletics in any shape or form have never been my strong suits.
Even though my brother and I were both on the same swim team, (for a very short while) and I was the older one, we were on opposite ends of the spectrum. The only races I could ever hope to win were against my self. I could make it from one end of the pool to the other, but speed and good form eluded me.
I totally can't run. I can go like 2 minutes before I am doubled over, gasping for air, clutching the stitch in my side. I know that is something I could work on, but I hear it's bad for your knees, so why bother?
Any team sports are totally out of the question. I should just wear a sign around my neck "Don't throw the ball to me, I'll drop it (if I manage to catch it)" Total Liability. That's me.
And gymnastics? That's the most impossibly ridiculous one of them all. I can do a somersault. Just don't expect any grace or style from me. In fact, I might even sprain something in the attempt. But I can probably most definitely do one. But those girls are like 16 (or 14 if they're Chinese) I am so past my prime on that one.
There's also the winter Olympics. I love those too. Before we had moved here, John and I had signed up to volunteer when Salt Lake hosted back in 2002. (We moved here in 2000) That would have been fun. I think I mentioned before that I can ski. Or at least I could 14 years ago, but in all honestly, I really stunk. I loved it, but I stunk. I am totally not exaggerating when I say that my mom told me she half expected a phone call from the hospital everytime I went skiing.
(totally off the subject here, but these spacing issues with blogger are driving me nuts! why won't it let me separate the paragraphs?!? Some of them are separted, but it won't let me separte the middle section!)
But then one event caught my eye the other night. Women's Race WALKING. Walking! I do that all the time. And most of the time I don't even hurt myself! If I were to set my sights on an event, that would be it. Of course we aren't talking about regular walking, but still. And don't worry, I have no delusions that should I take up this particular sport that I would be ever be in the same league with these women, but still a sport I could do. Several thoughts/questions have been running through my head however-
-Those women had really nice bodies. Nice flat stomachs. Toned legs. Could I look like that if I took it up?
- Many of them were my age! The youngest girl I took note of was like 22 or something. She won. But she weighed like 95 pounds. Must be all that walking.
- Why do they all look like they just got off the sand volleyball courts? Is there some kind of dress code where you wear as little as possible, and your does it bother them when the camera is following behind them as they walk that their bums are hanging out of their shorts for millions of worldwide viewers?
-What's the difference between race walking and running or jogging? I'm confused as to the exact specifications as to what makes a really really fast walk and not running? Is it the hip wiggle? When you are barely right behind another racer, and can't seem to get ahead, do they think about cheating and breaking into a slight run just for an edge?
-John and I decided this must be a "women's only" sport. Then the next night I saw the men. At least their shorts weren't as short. That's a camera shot I don't need to see.
-If I were to actually consider taking up this particular sport, I think I'd need a treadmill so I could train in the privacy of my own home. I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face in public while I practiced my hip wiggle, and it's probably hard to train when you have to keep switching from speed-walking form, to casual saunter when I think someone is looking.

3 comments:
You crack me up! Anyway, I did the same thing the last two weeks. I was exhausted, and yet the very next night i would do the same thing over again. I have dvr but I just couldn't risk someone else spoiling it for me. In fact I was so ticked when my girls came home from school and told me they had announced the gymnastics results on the morning announcements. I mean really... what kid is going to stay up till midnight to watch the olympics! o.k. I got that off my chest. But i was so into the gymnastics, that I felt like Nastias mom looked(all crazy stressed) Maybe it is because i did gymnastics till my junior year in high school, and i've seen first hand some really nasty falls!!! I also broke my tailbone on beam doing back handsprings. Anyway the U.S. did awsome!
Kirsten - I can't find your address but you have to look at the cakes on this blog. I know you love to bake & cook and they are amazing. Maybe some grea ideas. Email me your email please. I lost most my emails with the new computer. http://thegoodapple.blogspot.com/
Hey thats my friend melissa's blog! Shes a great girl.
Post a Comment