Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mother of the year

I think I must be neglecting my baby. After reading up on the lives of my friends and family through their blogs, I walked down stairs to find this the other day-and then just other day there was this-
I was making caramels at night after the other kids had gone to bed. He had gotten a decent nap during the day so I thought he'd be up for awhile. I gave him a snack, filled his sippy cup, and put on a movie for him to keep him busy and set about my work. The problem with making caramels is I am dealing with very hot sugar and I have to stand there and stir and stir and stir. I am pretty much stuck standing next to the stove for close to thirty minutes per batch of caramels.

Christopher got tired and wanted me to hold him, but I just couldn't. It totally isn't safe, and I can't walk away. So he laid down on the floor to cry (his normal reaction to the word "no"). I had nearly 15 minutes to go, and I just had to stand there and stir and watch his poor rejected little face as he cried for me until he cried himself to sleep at my feet.

Mother of the Year- yeah, that's me.

5 comments:

Ms. Muppettt said...

But...the good news is that the caramels were really, really good, Kirsten. We got them today, and they're well on their way to being gone. Thank you for sacrificing your family for us!? :O)

Kirsten said...

I'm fairly certain it was a different batch of caramels, so no worries, and I am so glad you enjoyed them.that was really quick- I only sent them off on Monday! I hadn't had a problem making them with him around this year, last year I had to stay up until after he went to bed, so I was putting in a lot of late nights (I sold them at a boutique last year, so I made TONS -I'm still debating whether or not I'm gonna do a boutique again this year).

Rachel said...

this is an every day occurence around here.

johnson six said...

I think you ARE mother of the year, if you can make caramels and get your baby to sleep simultaneously !

Jessica said...

I'm impressed that Christopher can fall asleep in those places! And don't go claiming that mother of the year award yet- I think I'm head to head with you!