Oh Camera, Camera, wherefore art thou, oh Camera?
Tell about your childhood bicycle.
I loved my bike. I would ride it all summer long. Mostly just in the neighborhood, but sometimes we would ride to a gas station to get candy. (I realize it was a different world back then, and there was less traffic in the town where we live, but I get panic attacks thinking about letting my kids ride that far.)I loved to ride without holding on. Sometimes I'd just close my eyes and feel the wind on my face and in my hair. Kind of like that scene at the end of City of Angels where Meg Ryan gets hit by the semi, only I'd panic after only second or two and open my eyes. I almost rear ended a parked car once, but I swerved in time.
Do they even make bikes like that any more? With big comfy banana seats, and handlebars perfect for carting some poor bike-less soul around. I must have like 5 years old in that picture. That bike looks all shiny and new, my parents must have just given it to me.
You know my dad was telling me a few years ago after my brothers were all grown up and out of the scouting program that he was fed up with kids these days. He said all the Scouts in his neighborhood were a bunch of lazy good for nothings, and half of them (teenagers) had never even ridden a bike before. SERIOUSLY. There was at least one fat kid who would produce a doctor's note every time they did something physical like backpacking trips but still expected to get his Eagle. I guess kids these days are too busy playing video games to go outside and play.
Which reminds me- John? are you reading this? This is my formal request to you to fix up the kids bikes. Soon. Please. Pretty Please. Fall is coming and I plan on kicking them out of the house. I'd also like for Zach to learn how to ride a bike this year. (He is 7 years old, so it's about time) Thanks.

No comments:
Post a Comment