I sent Maddie off to Girl Scout camp yesterday. It's her third year. The first two years she chose a camp with horses, this year she chose one with a lake. (In my head she's at the camp in the original The Parent Trap).
Like I said, the first year I sent her she was only 8. I think it was harder on me than her. Sending my baby girl off for four whole days. She jumped on the bus with hardly a wave good-bye. So, she's been twice now, and twice she's come home full of stories and songs and excitement to last at least a week. It was obvious she had fun.
So I was a little puzzled this year when it was time for her to get on the bus, and she said "I'll just stand here by you until it's time to go."
Even when one of the leaders tried to encourage her to get on with the lure of air conditioning (the weather here in Phoenix isn't so pleasant these days) she declined her offer so she could stand by me for awhile longer. (I personally think it was cause the lady was a little scary with her ultra-bubbly-had-one-too-many-extra-shots-of-caffeine-in-coffee personality and her crazy MC Hammer-like pants.)
I'm not complaining, just a little puzzled that my little girl with the "see ya, wouldn't want to be ya" attitude is suddenly a momma's girl.
I'll happily take it though.
I have one baby girl and she's gonna be a teenager before I know it.
And my friends with teenage girls are scaring me a little these days.

No comments:
Post a Comment