Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day

As luck would have it, John happens to be in Washington DC today. He's doing some work for the government, so naturally he has the day off.

He texted me these pictures a little while ago, and I thought I would share them with you.
This first picture is at the ceremony for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. John was able to attend (he was practically the last one in) and was able to see and hear VP Biden speak. (something the President usually does)
Arlington National Cemetery
John F. Kennedy and Jackie's grave site
Lincoln Memorial
Part of the World War II memorial with the Washington Monument in the background.
I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at here. I'll have to have John tell me later, unless anyone wants to chime in on the comments. It's pretty, though.
Washington Monument
On a side note, when John got off the subway at Arlington National Cemetery he told me there were a few protesters there. I thought it pretty ironic that they were protesting outside a cemetery where countless soldiers are buried who died defending their right to protest. It was heartening to hear however that there were 10 times the amount of people counter-protesting the protesters. In other words, more people were there to show support and give thanks, rather than be angry and ugly and hate-filled.
And lastly- to all the Vets in my life- a big thank you for serving!

No comments: