Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Is that your natural color?

I asked John not to get me flowers this year.

In theory, I love Valentines day, but in reality the whole holiday makes my eyebrow twitch.

Nothing says "I love you" more than an oversized teddybear, a giant box of cheap chocolates, a cheesy card, and overpriced flowers you bought all at the last minute at the corner drug store or the giant tent outside the grocery store.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when John brings home flowers. A simple bouquet of daisies he thought would brighten my day, or a pretty bunch of tulips to let me know he was thinking of me. I can live with that.

But paying extortionist prices for roses because the calendar tells you to? No really, I'm not having one of those "me thinks the lady doth protest too much" moments. Please. Just save your money.

That being said, John and I were at Costco yesterday and walked passed the flower display, and I let him talk me into a bunch of daisies. His arguments were these-

-"they're pretty"

-"Madison will love them too, you can share them with her"

-"I need to set an example for her of what kind of husband to find"

- "I also need to set an example for the boys of what kind of husband to be"

-"they're less than $10"

Well, they did brighten up the kitchen, Madison squealed with delight, and hopefully the kids took notes. And an hour or so later, they also made me laugh. I thought they were an unusually bright color.

2 comments:

Miss said...

I agree with you whole-hearted ;) about V-day! Such a rip!

Love the daisies though! :)

Ady Hahn said...

I can sympathize. Any excuse for chocolates is ok with me. But I like to keep it simple--no fancy jewelry or whatever. It's also a good excuse for a fancier than usual date night--which we get too few of.