Like not just flat, but a giant gaping gash in the side of it.
I put on my hazards, and my poor car limped several yards to where I could safely turn off onto a residential street.
It had been a long, long while, but I was sure I could figure out how to change the tire.
First item on the agenda - find out where the spare tire was (and praying we had one in good condition)
After a few minutes of searching, I located the tire attached to the bottom of the car.
Second item on the agenda- figure out how to get said tire off the bottom of the car. (seriously! what's wrong with sticking it in the trunk like every other car?!?)
It probably goes without saying that the weather wasn't all that pleasant outside either.
Grabbing the user's manual out of the glove box, I was about to start flipping through it when I noticed this had just pulled up behind my car.
Never was I more relieved to see one of those!
I didn't consider myself a damsel in distress, but I was super happy for their help.
Gilbert's finest going above and beyond the call of duty, battling the dragon that is Chevrolet's design for spare tire storage.
Within an hour I was on my way, and was on time to pick up my kids with an exciting tale to tell. (Who knows how long it would have taken me on my own?)
But at the end of the day, I can't help but feel that someone was looking out for me. Tender mercies and all that. Too many thoughts running around in my head like "good thing I wasn't in the middle of nowhere....good thing I was driving pretty slow at that exact moment, I hear blowing a tire while going freeway speeds can be dangerous....good thing I had already dropped the kids off so they wouldn't have to miss their lesson...good thing those cops showed up so quickly..."

2 comments:
Good things indeed. I fear that too. Good thing I have AAA though. :D
A similar thing happened to us. Hal and I were driving down Parley's Canyon to go to Sears specifically to have new tires put on his car when a tire blew. Fortunately it happened just before an exit so we were able to pull completely off the freeway. Hal had only been trying to loosen the lug nuts for a few minutes with a completely inadequate tire iron when a UDOT vehicle pulled up behind us and a guy offered to help us. He had the old tire off and the temporary tire on and filled with air so fast. We were so grateful for his friendliness and service. We would have been there for hours without his help even with our AAA.
Post a Comment