Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A promotion and a public service announcement.

I got a new job at church.  For the last couple of years I was working with the cub scouts.  A year and a half with the Webelos, a year with the Wolves, and a whole week with the Bears.  I hadn't even made it to a den meeting when they released me. 

John answered the phone when they wanted me to come into church to talk about my new job.  What John told me they said was that I was "under strife".  He thought it was an odd comment, but maybe someone was starting to think that after 2 1/2 years, it was starting to affect me, and someone was concerned.  Which I was truthfully a little upset about.  2 1/2 years is a long time, but I thought I was handling it.  It takes awhile to get the hang of things, and I was enjoying working with Zach, as a middle kid he doesn't get much one on one.  Besides, I'd get moved around every year or so, so that was keeping it fresh, and I was about to work again with some boys that I already knew and loved, and they are a great group of boys.  Really fun, cute, kids.   So while my excitement has definitely wained over time, I thought I was at least cheerfully doing my job, and I was upset that somebody thought I wasn't.  I expressed my concern over this.  I apologized if anyone thought so, to which the reply was "No, I said you 'earned your stripes'.  You're graduating. Not being fired."  Whew!  What a difference a few letters make!

So, graduating.  I'm working with the Boy Scouts now.  My official title is something to do with the words "Advancement" and "chair"  I'm still fuzzy on it all.  But at least I am getting a quick crash course in it.  My big job is to put together a Court of Honor to hand out all the Advancements and Merit badges.  And there's a bunch of other stuff that goes with that, like learning new software, and paperwork, and purchasing those little badges and stuff.  I'm a little stressed, but not totally freaking out.  There have been plenty of people offering support and help if I need it.  (The problem is not getting help, it's figuring out what help I need.  Hopefully it won't be too late by the time I figure that out).  Anyway the next C of H is in 6 days.  No pressure.  (wish me luck)

On a related note- I'd like to give a public service announcement to all the kids out there (even though the only two who actually read this, have already gotten this lecture)  Kids- don't do stupid stuff.  Like getting arrested at 18 for trying to get a fake ID.  It will follow you FOREVER.  Last night, as I was filling out my Boy Scout application there was a line "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?"  and I had to fill in the little "yes" bubble. And then on the line "If yes, please explain" I wrote "Fraud. Forging gov't documents -1994".   I'm not that worried.  They let me be a cub scout leader after I put that on my application.  But still.  FOREVER, I tell you.

3 comments:

Ady Hahn said...

Really?! I always thought you were squeaky clean. ;-) I almost got arrested right after I turned 18 for alledgedly stealing a fruit drink. It was so scary, but luckily the cops let me go.

Rachel said...

Classic PSA!!!

Rachel said...

Stephen just looked at your app and I started laughing because I knew he was in for a surprise!!