Thursday, August 2, 2012

(baby you can) drive my car

All good things must come to an end.

We've been a one car family for awhile now. Almost three years.  And it's worked well for us, especially since John has been able to rent the ocasional car when he needs it.  There were a couple stressful days, where only having one car was a pain in the you know what, but 99% of the time it was awesome.

Well, those days are over.  Nick will be getting his learner's permit any day now (just as soon as he finishes up the paperwork for his Eagle)  and then we will have THREE drivers in the family.  And I'm not sharing my car with him, and I think you have to be 25 to drive a rental car, so that's out of the question as well.

So we needed to find a second car for the family.  (And we've made it clear that it's not Nick's car, it's the family's second car that he gets to drive.)

Fortunately for us, (although not so fortunately for her -she's not thrilled about her loss of freedom, but happy her car is staying in the family) my grandma can't drive any more, so she gave us her car. 

It's a 1994 Subaru Legacy. That's the year I graduated from high school.  Awesome right?

Nick wouldn't let my brothers remove the BYU sticker. I might not be a BYU fan, but I'm not against my kids aspiring to go there. It's hard to get in to. You need really good grades, and you need to excel in other areas as well.  Besides they could change their mind.  Once upon a time I wanted to go to BYU too, and look how I smartened up.

Interestingly enough, Nick's new car is the little brother of my first car.  I bought my first car from that same grandma when I was in high school.  It was a 1982 Toyota Tercel.

When she handed over the keys, I had to promise that I would take better care of this car than I did that one.  "You ruined my other car."  (I'm not sure who the people standing next to the car are, but that's my grandma in her car.  And I think it's probably practically brand new in that picture.)

I learned the hard way that changing the oil at least somewhat regularly is good, and running it out of oil is very, very bad.  Just sayin'.

Of course this car is showing it's age somewhat.  It was the stereotypical situation, you know, little old lady who only drove it to church and to the market.  It only has 90,000 miles on it, but for an 18 year old car that's pretty good.  

Anyways, it does have a few issues, like if you make it go over 80 mph it will start to smoke, so that can't be good.  And only half of the speedometer lights up at night, so if it's dark out it's hard to tell how fast you are going if you are going more than 30 miles an hour. Under 30 and you're still good though.  And sometimes the gas gauge doesn't feel like working. We filled it up with gas and I swear it was saying.  "It's to early to get up. This is too much work staying clear up there by the F.  I'm going back to bed.  I'll think about getting up later."
So, Nick is excited, and I have some leads on some good mechanics, and while John and I HATE car problems more than anything, at this point I think it's our best option. 

And if Nick is really lucky we might replace that cassette player with a CD player or something.  Either that or I'll buy a bunch of blank tapes off the internet and teach him the lost art of the "mix tape".

~~~~~~~

"Baby you can drive my car, yes I'm gonna be a star.  Baby you can drive my car, and maybe I'll love you." - The Beatles

2 comments:

Rachel said...

love it. My first car was a blue Subaru. It was called the blue bandit. I wish I still had it.

Amy said...

Is it scary or what, all these boys driving around!!