Half of my kids were excited and ready.
Half were not.
Think you can guess which ones were ready for a new year of teachers and homework and projects and all the extra stuff that goes with it?
This one was very excited.
"Mom, I can't wait to get back to school. It's like High School is my real life, and I'm just taking a break from it now, and as fun as this summer has been, I'm ready to get back to my real life."
I'm trying not to think too hard on the fact that I am no longer the center of his universe, but merely a bed providing, cash dispensing, food supplying, ride giving, side note. (but he still tells me I'm the best mom ever, so I'll take what I can get Ü)
This one was not excited at all.
She was scared and nervous and all that. She attended an ice-cream social for the seventh graders last week and afterwards I asked her if she felt better about junior high. (Junior High! Who decided little girls should go to junior high?!?
Anyway, after the ice-cream social I asked her if she felt better. No. She isn't worried about friends, and all that, she's outgoing and friendly and rarely has trouble making friends. It was more the fact that she had to watch the horror show that was Nick's junior high years.
Her nerves were so bad this morning she had to take a break from doing her hair to stand by the toilet cause she thought she was gonna puke.
This one was excited.
He likes school. He was excited for his teacher. It looks like a promising year for him. I think he's a little sad to have to walk to and from school all by himself, but he's a big 5th grader now, so he puts on a tough exterior.
This one was not excited at all.
He's been trying to convince me for the past month that for him it's "No more schools." Which was totally unexpected because he seemed to love school so much. He just must love doing whatever else he wants more than he loved school. (like playing on the wii for hours on end- and yes, I would let him play for hours on end. So sue me, by the end of the summer I'm done playing cruise director, and just hope the messes don't get too out of hand while I settle in to a good book.)
He did finally concede to going to school (we've been trying to prepare him for the inevitable). But he was not interested in going to first grade. He'd tell you "I going to tenth grade with Nick." (He even told his teacher that at meet the teacher night)
I know the years go by so fast, but for the moment I still feel secure in the knowledge that I am still the center of his universe, and home isn't just some place to lay your head at night or call when you need a ride to somewhere else where your "real life" exists. I may not be ready for any of my kids to grow up so fast, but despite his efforts to fast track his education, I still get a few more years with this one.
~~~~~~
"Be true to your school now and let your colors fly"- The Beach Boys




No comments:
Post a Comment