I can think again. Hallelujah.
You know, it was a toss up the last time I wrote about things being quiet in my house between this song by Simon and Garfunkel and the Depeche Mode one I actually used. I went with the Depeche mode one because I think I was trying to prove (mostly to myself probably) that I do listen to music that was written after I was born.
Anyway, back to the silence.
Last Thursday a friend came over to drop some things off and chit chat for a bit, and she brought her four year old along with her, and apparently he used the upstairs bathroom while we were downstairs chatting away.
No big deal, right?
Except, apparently one of my kids (the one named 'Not Me') plugged up said toilet and left for school without saying anything. Also, our toilets are like 8 years old, and probably some of the cheapest on the market cause that's what builders like to use, so they have a habit of continuing to run, and you have to jiggle the handle, and if that fails, stick your hand in the tank to adjust whatever is malfunctioning.
You can see where this is going, right?
The little boy did his business, flushed the toilet, and then when he saw the water running over the side of the bowl, quietly shut the bathroom door and went back to playing with my kids' toys.
I figured it out when water started coming out of the light fixtures in the kitchen.
We got it cleaned up, but one look at my ceiling told me I might have a bigger problem on hand,
so I called some friends who own a disaster clean-up service.
They were pretty busy with all the damage from the many storms in the valley (gotta love monsoon season) but they were able to come out here, cut a hole in my ceiling,
ripped out base boards in my bathroom,
and they left behind a few industrial dryers to dry out the space between my floors.
Anyways, they were loud.
They wanted to make sure everything was thoroughly dry, so those blowers ran for three and a half days. Believe me, I'm grateful that they did a thorough job, you hear of too many businesses these days doing shoddy work, and I really appreciate the 'better safe than sorry' attitude, but those blowers gave me a headache and I couldn't even think. It's like they were in my brain.
I mostly hung out in my bedroom all weekend. Besides being the quietest, it also happened to be the coolest room in the house, which is ironic cause it is usually the hottest. I think one of those dryers put off so much heat, that it messed up the thermostat, (temporarily) and so despite the fact that I raised the desired temperature of our house quite a bit, my bedroom stayed nice and cool. I made good use of my time and cleaned out my closet. I also read a lot.
Anyhow, the noisy dryers are gone, my house is quiet again, there's still a lovely hole in my kitchen,
and that will get fixed, and we have plans to start replacing all the stupid toilets in our house. (Starting with the kids' bathroom) My brother has one he is in love with. Supposedly it can flush a whole bucket of golf balls without breaking a sweat.
~~~~~~
"Hello darkness, my old friend. I've come to talk with you again." - Simon and Garfunkel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh I'm so sorry.
Post a Comment