Friday, October 5, 2012
quick trip to hawaii (aka Mindy's 40th birthday luau in Vernal)
I put this post off for a long time because I couldn't think of a stupid song. Sure, there's "Happy Birthday" but that's lame. What song embodies one of your best friend's 40th birthday luau party? I spent way too much time and came up with nothing. So frustrating.
During the summer when we were visiting our good friends in Vernal, Mindy mentioned she was turning 40 in September and all she wanted for her birthday was a party. Specifically, a luau.
With plenty of notice, we were able to figure out a way to make it. John made sure his schedule was free, we cashed in some frequent flier miles, and hired a babysitter. We were only gone one night.
After I officially RSVP'd "yes" to the invite, I got a very surprised phone call from my friend.
"You're really coming?"
"Well, You invited us. I hope that's ok, we're totally planning on staying at your house. You already said we could."
Moral of the story- If you don't want us to come to stuff, don't invite us. With enough notice, chances are good we'll be there.
So we had a grand time.
I didn't take very many pictures though.
I did take these.
What's a luau without a real pig? (and a hula dancer, but I didn't get a picture of her)
And then of course the sun went down, and I thought I was going to freeze to death and I spent the rest of the night being anti social in the living room wearing a borrowed winter parka and huddled up under a blanket.
But it really was a great time. It was actually a double birthday party. Mindy and her friend were both turning 40, and there was plenty of pig to go around, so they combined their forces and did it together. I mention this because at one point I was oohing and aahing over a bowl (yes, a bowl) that the rolls were in. It was this big gorgeous wooden bowl that looked hand made. I mentioned something outloud to no one in particular, about how I just loved it, and thought it was gorgeous, and then the husband of the other birthday girl, whom I'd met on previous occasions, said "Thanks! I made that. Took me over a year." After I picked my jaw up off the ground, I think I made some comment that if he couldn't find it when it was time to go, that it wasn't in my suitcase.
Or something obnoxious like that.
At which point he probably said something to the effect that he would appreciate me not stealing his favorite bowl, but he has another one I could have.
Seriously?!?! I tried to protest, and bow out graciously, (cause I really am not a klepto or looking for handouts) but he insisted and brought me a bowl later that night. Apparently it was like the twin or something to one he made for his ex-wife and he really didn't mind parting with it. I even offered to pay him.
I still need to send him a thank you note or some caramels or something.
Anyway, that was our big fun trip to Hawaii, aka Vernal, Utah.
Sidenote- although traveling can be rough, after that trip, I discovered more reasons not to feel too sorry for John. For instance, he doesn't have to sit with the rest of us in those uncomfortable chairs while he waits for his plane.
He gets to go to a special club lounge where they have comfy chairs and free cookies and other snacks.
FREE. COOKIES.
Two words- Spoi-led.
And I have to brag a little. On the way there and back, he got upgraded but I didn't, so he happily switched tickets with me and let me sit in first class while he sat in coach. All that he asked was that I try to send a package of his favorite chips back to him in coach. So I asked the flight attendant to take "The gentleman in seat (fill-in-the-blank) these chips". Done.
The flight attendant brought him the chips and said, "Someone in first class really likes you."
During the flight, John happened to be sitting next to a pilot who lives in Phoenix, but is stationed out of Salt Lake. He has to fly (as a passenger) to Salt Lake to fly his plane wherever it goes. Anyway, after John got his chips, the pilot curiously asked what that was about, so John explained that we only got one upgrade, and he flies first class all the time, so he gave the upgrade to me. And to John's utter amazement, (which is a testament to his character) the pilot was astounded, and said that he sees that a lot, where the frequent flying husband gets upgraded, and the wife does not. And more often than not, the husband doesn't think twice about sending the wife to coach, while he takes his usual spot in first.
The pilot made sure to tell me that "I had a keeper".
But I already knew that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment