Last summer my dad was sharing with me excerpts from his new favorite book by George Carlin. (not suggested reading material for those bothered by profanity) Anyway, Mr. Carlin was ranting about the oversaturation of love songs on the airwaves. He contended there were enough and wouldn't we like to hear songs about other stuff like colonoscopies and the DMV? (I'm just making those topics up, I don't think those were real examples in the book, I didn't pay close attention, but his examples were similar)
Anyway, it's only been recently that I have been able to appreciate the wisdom of that little rant of his.
There are A LOT of love songs on the radio. With this little project of mine, I've been paying closer attention to song titles and their lyrics and trying to match them with topics in my life, and it's harder than you think.
And up until yesterday, I hadn't used a single Harry Connick jr song. I know, right? Most of his songs are romantic in nature. Half of the romantic songs are of the unrequited love variety, or lost love, which don't apply to me anymore. Once upon a time any one of those songs could have been my theme song, and blessedly it's been a long time since one of those songs fit my life.
And while I could get all sappy on y'all and write something sweet and romantic every single day, I think I would make myself sick. I love my husband, but it's not like me to get all sappy and lovey and gush about what a wonderful husband he is to anyone who will listen. It feels fake and insincere and like I am trying to prove something to someone. However, I thought yesterday (our anniversary) was a good enough time to use one of those.
And then there are so many other songs that will probably never fit. Have you ever noticed how many song titles have the name of a girl in it? We all live in a yellow submarine? Probably not going to use that one anytime soon. Walk like an Egyptian? Probably only if I were able to travel to Egypt.
Some of the other things going on around here that my not lend themselves so easily to a blog post with corresponding song choice.
Sometimes picking the perfect song is easy-peasy. Instantaneous.
Sometimes not so much.
I already mentioned Mindy's birthday party.
And for a month I have been trying to come up with a song. Besides the standard ♪♫ Happy Birthday to you...♪♫
Maybe the choice is clear to someone else, but I haven't stumbled upon it.
~~~~~~~
My computer broke last week. Well just the keyboard. But it's kindof an important part. John was able to hook a wireless mouse and keyboard up to my laptop so now I can use it. (nope. Can't think of a song)
~~~~~~~
Nick hurt is knee in cross country several weeks ago. We are finally taking him to have it looked at next week. He's been going to sports medicine after school. (no song here either)
~~~~~~
Basically the mundane pretty much falls into this category. Nobody sings about the mundane. Unfortunately my life is about 95% mundane. And some of that I think is still worth remembering even if nobody else wants to sing about it.
Anyway, my point is, I'm not going to strain myself any more. Heaven forbid this whole blog becomes too much like work and I pretty much flat out quit for a few months. ;)
~~~~~~~
"Song sung blue, everybody knows one. Song sung blue, every garden growns one."- Neil Diamond
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment