Okay, so technically it's called "Choir Retreat". But whatever.
I got a frantic email one morning asking all the moms of choir students attending the retreat if one of us would be able to take the place of another mom who had fallen sick and couldn't chaperon. The next day.
It happened to work into our schedule, so I volunteered.
I figured as long as I have a teenager who likes me to do these sorts of things, I might as well take full advantage.
Besides, I've only got this particular kid for less than a couple of years (that's the plan anyways) so that's another reason.
Plus, as it turns out, it was a lot of fun. (I didn't think it wouldn't be, but it was funner than expected.)
And it was easy. They are good kids. All I did was follow them around and take pictures.
So. Camp. They did a lot of team building activities which were fairly entertaining to watch.
There were some high ropes course stuff,
and even a zip line.
And singing. Lots of singing. (It is CHOIR camp after all)
You know, Nick has always been musical. He taught himself to whistle when he was in first grade, and his teacher called him her "little songbird". (Even when asking him to stop as they were in class.)
Anyways, over the years I've seen things. I've watched as Nick will start humming a tune and other kids would give him dirty looks or tell him to shut up or groan or other various responses. But this was the very first time I had seen other kids join in. We'd be hiking along and Nick would bust into song, and I would start to cringe thinking of the other kids reactions, and then be actually shocked when they all joined in. Happily. Not a single time did I even see so much as an eye roll from other kids. (And I LOOKED). I can't tell you what joy that brought to this mother's heart.
And there was the added bonus that I got to better know some of Nick's friends, and his choir teacher as well. (And I was really impressed with what I saw on all counts, by the way.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment