Monday, November 18, 2013

well, I'm sure no one has ever done that before

So, Christopher is a little anti-church. 

Always has been. 

And you know, seeing as though we're Mormon, church is kind of a big deal around here.

"It's Nick's church and Daddy's church and Mommy's church and Maddie's church and Zachey's church, but NOT Christopher's church."

If someone else in the house is sick, he's the first to volunteer to stay home and keep them company.  Sometimes he pretends to be sick too, and sometimes he doesn't bother with the pretense.  And I usually let him stay home.  I know it sets a bad precedence, but I also know he will be a nightmare for those three hours at church and make life miserable for me and everyone else around him, so he usually stays home. 

And when he does go to church, he can't get out of his church clothes fast enough when he walks through the door.  I am seriously surprised he hasn't popped a button off of one of his shirts trying to rip it off in his best Superman imitation.

The other day I found this "math problem" on the white erase board in our pantry.  He and I had been working on math word problems for homework, and he came up with one of his own.  FYI- the circles at the bottom represent people. 

He left out a little bit, but I will translate-  "If there are 6 people in a family (the 6 circles) and four people go to church (4 of the circles are crossed out), how many people will stay home?"  (And of course it doesn't matter who the other circle is, but in his mind he is DEFINITELY one of the circles that stays home)

And, if he makes it to church, there's no guarantee he will behave himself.  A few weeks ago, the Primary President stopped him from trying to leave the building.  Halfway through class he decided he was done, and was going home, so he got up and walked out.  He was headed to the car when he was stopped. I don't know what he was going to do seeing as there was still 30+ minutes left.

And then there are his behavior issues.  I finally resorted to bribery. I said if he is good he can play Minecraft after church.  (I'm anti-computer games on Sundays, but my kids are good at "forgetting" this rule, and sometimes keeping the peace is more important to me so I end up turning a blind eye to their "forgetfulness". )  Minecraft is Christopher's very favorite thing right now, it's like virtual Legos.  The one Sunday when he did lose computer privileges was a very long day for him indeed.  As far as I know he's been good ever since.

Another thing he's been doing lately is planning out his life. 

"When I am 15 I will get a cell phone."  "When I am 16 I will drive a car."  "When I am 18 I will drive a big bus."  "When I am 21 I will drive a little bus."  "When I am 28 I will drive a fire truck and park in the red No Parking Fire Lane."  "When I am 35 I will fly an airplane."  "When I am 45 I will go to space." "When I am 64 I will drive a big truck."

We've also been talking about his birthday lately.  (Because he's 7 and birthdays are of utmost importance.)  "My birthday is on May 31.  I will be 8.  I will get a blue scout shirt and scriptures. (standard 8 year old boy birthday presents around here) I will take my ipod (my old cellphone) to church in my scriptures". (I'm wondering which kid gave him that idea?)

When asked if he's also going to get baptized at 8, his response varies.  It varies between "Ummm, No." to "Maybe when I'm 9." Or all the way up to "Maybe when I'm 64."  (But NEVER does he say yes.)

This morning his answer was this- "Ummm, maybe when I'm 20.  I will get baptized in Space."

That would be a sight to behold indeed.

No comments: