Monday, November 25, 2013

Girl's Trip- the City Life

The second half of our trip we spent enjoying big cities. 

The plan was to spend half a day in Boston, but by the time we got there and figured out where to turn in the car, our day was gone.   We were both wishing we had an extra day in Boston, but we arrived too late in the day, and had to catch a flight too early in the morning.

But our hotel room was super nice.  Seriously, Marriott LOVES John.  And I get to benefit from that love even when he's not there.   Our room was huge and gorgeous

With a private balcony that overlooked the bay.

The only issue we had was that our key cards wouldn't work, and they had to reprogram the locks on the doors for whatever reason, but we got tickets for free Starbuck's for our trouble.

The next morning we headed off to New York City.

We only had about a day and a half at our disposal, so we made the most of it.

A little shopping, a little sight seeing, and a lot of fun.

After dinner at one of our favorite spots, Ellen's Stardust Diner, where Broadway hopefuls serenade you while you eat, we headed off to catch a Broadway show.

Not just any Broadway show.  But Once. 

Before our trip I got online to see which celebrities were performing on Broadway.  And there were a couple.  Personally I would not have minded seeing Romeo and Juliet starring Orlando Bloom, but Maddie could have cared less.  Orlando Bloom!!! Kids these days. 

Anyways, my kids are totally in love with the show 'Doctor Who'.  And one of their favorite characters that was recently killed off was Rory.  Played by Arthur Darvill.  Who just happened to be in New York performing on Broadway.

So yeah, we totally went and saw it.  And it was really good.  And then we totally fangirled out by the stage door and met the actors and got autographs. 


And Maddie even got Arthur to sign a birthday card for Nick. 

Which in this household is now leading the polls for "Best Birthday Present Ever." (Nick has stated before that he wants to name a kid Rory. For Reals.  Of course being the Gilmore Girls fan that I am, I still sorta think of Rory as a girl's name.)

The next day was just a hodgepodge of stuff.  Sightseeing, eating, window shopping. 

We went to Ground Zero and saw the World Trade Center memorial.

And ran into this cute girl, Camille Zuniga, from our home town.

I also really liked this tree.  It's called the Survivor Tree, because it has survived both the destruction of the WTC, but then it was moved to a different location, where Hurricane Sandy tried did her best to finish it off, and it survived that as well. 

I introduced Maddie to Serendipity 3 and the Frozen Hot Chocolate.

And apparently this is the Actual Table from the movie Serendipity.  (I so don't remember the table in the movie at all, but the waiter offered to take our picture, which I should have thought harder about since I look like crap tired.)

We took a lovely stroll through Central Park to check out the Bethesda Fountain. 

And that was about it. It was fun, and over too quickly. 

And yes, by the end of the trip, Maddie agreed with me, I am the right kind of people Ü.

No comments: