I thought Antoni Gaudi deserved his own post since I took SO MANY stinking pictures. Even then, I had trouble narrowing them down without being redundant and boring.
Gaudi was an architect who lived and died in Barcelona almost 100 years ago.
I admit the first time I heard of him, I thought "Well, that's just weird." And yeah, I still think most of his work borders on the strange and bizarre, but seeing it up close, I gained a new appreciation for it.
In fact I can now say he is my favorite architect. Honestly though, that's not saying much since I can only name one other architect, which is of course Frank Lloyd Wright, but I've never been that impressed with him either.
But anyways, Gaudi's crowning achievement has yet to be completed, and the guy has been dead for like 85 years. They are hoping to have it finished by the 100th anniversary of his death, but I think they have a long way to go. Behold, the Sagrada Familia.
It's this GINORMOUS Cathedral in the middle of the city.
It's huge now, but I think this model of it shows the stuff they still need to do (in white).
I really really really want to go back to Barcelona in 20 years when it's all done.
The outside of the building is kinda crazy and a little off-putting, but the inside is amazing.
It's like you are this tiny little ant wandering around in a giant flower garden.
And the light coming in from the stained glass is gorgeous.
I think though that if I were to attend church there, I don't think I'd ever learn a thing. I'd be too busy gaping at my surroundings.
Gaudi designed some other stuff in his days.
There are several famous buildings that bare his unique signature.
I feel kinda pretentious saying words like "organic" but that's probably the best way to describe it.
There's a really cool park he designed as well.
He liked to use a lot of recycled tiles and ceramics in his designs.
Those buildings behind me are his as well.
Before I went to Spain, I would have said he was a bit of a nutter, but now I'm leaning more towards genius. I hear it's a fine line though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
















No comments:
Post a Comment