Friday, December 6, 2013

The rest of Barcelona

With John in his convention all day,

I spent a lot of time by myself.  Which is fine.  Alone doesn't always equal lonely.

I consulted my handy-dandy Rick Steves' guide book (seriously, he and I are besties) and planned my days out from there.

I decided to head over to Montjuic to see the castle on the hill.  There's two ways to get there, by tram, or by hiking.  I decided to take the tram up then hike down.

In all honesty, I didn't think there was much to see up there.  I thought the moat was the coolest part.  Certainly the prettiest.  I didn't even take any pictures inside.

The "hike" down was pretty neat though.  It was technically more of a leisurely stroll than a hike, but I think all those stairs might have gotten tiring after awhile.

Seriously, it was just a whole hillside full of pretty gardens.

With random fountains.

Walking down I set my sights on a domed rooftop and headed in that direction.  I wasn't disappointed. 

At the end of the walk I found a really neat museum.

Although, to be honest, I thought the building was the best part.  So pretty.

The museum sits atop a hill as well, and they have very convenient escalators to take you down to the Olympic Village at the bottom.

(I have never in my life seen outdoor escalators before.

Other fun sights include a pretty church, (love the lacy detail work)

and a random castle/palace in the middle of town.  It looked much more interesting then the touristy one on the hill.

And finally- one of the biggest soda pop/snack machines I have ever seen.

So that's it.  Barcelona was lovely.  I wish there was time to see more of Spain, but maybe someday.

No comments: