Friday, November 25, 2016

Thanksgiving day 2

We woke up from our cozy little cabin in the woods and decided to check out a cute little town I read about somewhere on the internet.  Solvang.


It's no secret I love Europe.  I'm sure I've annoyed several people by talking about it a little too obsessively, but sorry-not-sorry.   Anyways, things being what they are, it is doubtful I will be getting back there any time soon, so when I heard of a tiny little town that was practically plucked from Europe itself, I was all in.

We loved it.  It was fun.  It was really cute.  The architecture was great.  But it was kind of a super touristy hodge-podge of a few European countries.  Germany, Holland, and Denmark come to mind.


We got Ebelskivers at a little Danish restaurant. 

And found the little statue of the Little Mermaid which is a replica of the one in Denmark.

We posed in front of the giant windmill.

We window shopped in stores full of imported goods like liederhosen and dirndl's and cuckoo clocks and knick-knacks and other various touristy crap items.

And of course we enjoyed some gelato, because what is Europe with gelato?

I have to confess, something was off for me most of the time, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  And then I realized that everything was too straight.  You knew that every building was built to code, and I was honestly missing that feeling that the building could possibly fall over at any given moment. There are so many buildings in Europe that are hundreds of years old.  Many hundreds of years. 

 They've withstood wars and plagues and are still there to tell the tale.   These were only a few decades at the most.

And when we had our fill of Europe, we then headed back to the USA in the grand American way of making gluttons of ourselves in the best way we knew how - at Slaters 50/50 where bacon is the main ingredient on the menu.  Everything has bacon added to it in some way or another whether it's ground into the hamburger meat, or added to a giant brownie.  It's pretty fantastic.  If you like bacon.


No comments: