For the past dozen or so years I have been lucky enough to stay at home with the kids and enjoy the role of stay at home mom. I'm happy in this role, I have no desire to go out and find a job. Half of the reason why I am not in a rush to finish college is I have no idea what to pick as a major. Besides being "just a mom" what, on Earth, do I want to do with my life?
The only time I really think about it is when I am asked either in person or on some form "What do you do?" "Do you work?" "What is your job title?"
"Of course I work", I say. "I might not get a weekly pay check, or have to claim any income on my taxes, but yes, I work."
Titles I have claimed-
Mom
Housewife
Homemaker
Domestic Engineer
Domestic Goddess
Today I heard of a new one and I am officially declaring myself a PEDIATRIC LIFE COACH. Pretty awesome, eh? Here's the thing though- I'm not claiming to be fantastic at it, know what I'm doing, or even be a good one, but I'm a Pediatric Life Coach none the less.
I think it's an apt description. Sometimes I like to say "I'm not trying to raise children, I'm trying to raise adults." I spend my days trying to teach them the life skills needed to be responsible, functioning, tax-paying, worthwhile, society-contributing, happy, well adjusted, faithful, people. Only time will tell if I am any good at this job.
The irony of the story is that I heard about it while helping out with Madison's girl scout troop today. One of the leaders was telling me this anecdote of another mother who listed that as her job title on facebook, and actually got requests from other mothers wanting help with their kids. The whole time she is telling me this story (before she gets to the part about it just being a creative description for "mom") I am thinking, "I need this lady's number! I wonder how much she charges?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Love it! Why don't we get paid?
I'm totally stealing this.
Post a Comment