Sunday, March 14, 2010

Learning to love baseball

Last Saturday after Zach's baseball game, he came running up to us, "Mom! Dad! Look! I got the game ball!" Sure enough, in his hand was a slightly used baseball with Zach's name and the date on it.

Why exactly the coach picked him over any of the other boys that Saturday, I don't know. Zach worked hard and even scored a run.
But so did some of the other boys.
I don't know what exactly the coach looks for each week when he hands out the game ball, but he must have seen something.

Let me tell you what I saw-

I saw my little boy have fun and do his best.

I saw his coaches teach and encourage.

We are loving this team Zach is on right now.
One day while talking to the wife of the coach, she was telling me about a conversation with her husband. He was telling her how it was his goal to have the boys learn to love baseball. He wanted it to be a positive experience in every way. Maybe they wouldn't win every game, but he sure as heck wanted them to have fun, develop some skills, understand the game, and hopefully have some successes along the way.

What I didn't expect was that I was going to slowly but surely learn to love the game along with my son. I might not be buying season tickets to the Diamondbacks any time soon, (but maybe a game here and there) but there's something pretty special about cheering on your favorite little player on your favorite Little League team.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

it so true. when your kid is playing it's much easier to fall in love with the game.

Misty said...

I have been know to shed a quiet tear when I see my little boy score a run or catch a ball. As long as he has fun and loves baseball, I will make sure he gets to play! Besides, it is America's favorite pastime!