Friday, August 6, 2010

How Zach learned to ride a bike


Dear parents of small children. You're gonna wanna pay attention to this.

This is seriously the most genius way to teach kids to ride a bike, ever.

I've mentioned before that Zach has anxiety issues. This has prevented him from learning to ride a bike before now. I'd go out and work with him, but when it came down to it, if he thought for one second someone was going to let go of the bike, he'd fall right over. No matter how well he was doing. Bike riding lessons always ended up in tears and frustration. (for both of us)

Until...

While John and I were in Utah, my dad pulled out one of my brother's old bikes and taught Zach to ride.
My dad got this idea from my little brother, and I don't know where he got it from, but he did just get his PhD, so it could have come from his own genius brain.

So what's the big, genius idea?

Take The Pedals Off.

That's it.

So simple, yet so genius.

Take the pedals off, hand them the bike, and let them play around with it. They are in control. Instead of pedaling, their feet are on the ground pushing them around. Pretty soon they are getting more and more confident, coasting farther and farther, and before you know it, they are ready for the pedals to be put back on.

I told you, GENIUS.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Never woulda that of that! Thanks.