Sunday, November 14, 2010

Return of the Journal Jar

Since it's been awhile (over a year) since my last "journal jar" blog post, and with not much else going on, I figured it was time to revisit that topic. If anyone feels so inclined, you can check out those posts here, here, here, and here.

So the question of the day is:

What color was your house, your bedroom, your livingroom as a child?

My house was a two story brownish brick house.

Growing up, the living room had white walls, brown carpet and dark brown trim. It has a huge two-story natural stone fireplace. My parents still live there, and have remodeled it in the last few years, replacing the carpet with hardwood floors and painted the walls. The only original things left are the fireplace (which would have been an absolute crime to rip out) and the big bookcase/cabinet thing that my dad built. (He built 90% of the furniture in the house- the exceptions pretty much being the couch, and my bedroom furniture which my mother brought with her when they got married)

For about the first ten years, my bedroom was upstairs and consisted of white walls, and bright blue carpeting (same as all the other bedrooms in the house)

Then out of necessity, (2 bedrooms-4 kids and me being the only girl) my dad built me a bedroom in the basement. I think it was the only really decorated room in the house. You know, with paint other than white, and wall paper. The carpet was mauve to match the accent wall on the south side which was wallpapered in mauve with little white dots, and the other three walls had a chair rail dividing the light blue paint on the bottom from the off whitish wallpaper with mauve and light blue stripes. I debated posting this last picture as it is not the most flattering of an old friend of mine. She and her little sister were wrestling on my bed and I took the picture to be funny. Now it's the best picture I have of my room. Clearly I was about 12-13 at the time cause I was really jazzed about being in young women's.
I loved that room. It was my fortress of solitude. Plus, the windows were really easy to sneak out of (but that's a story for another day)

4 comments:

Beverly B. said...

I love when you post old photos. I remember your house and room. You were/are such a beauty and I love your spunk.

I lived in 5 different houses growing up but my favorite was our Mississippi house.

Melissa said...

You? Misbehaving? Never. ;)

Shelly said...

Let's see...house was orange (really? who does that?). All the walls were stark white and the carpet was lemon yellow. Seriously, it should have been called the "citrus house."

Rachel said...

such a cute little girl.