Monday, January 10, 2011

Getting my geek on

My friend Brenda called me on Saturday and invited me to a comic book convention. Not the super-cool one in California, but the "Amazing Arizona Comic Con" or something like that. I decided to believe that she invited me because she thought I, like her, would be amused by the whole thing, and not because she thought I was the type of person who frequented these types of things.

Cause I'm not.
This was my first time. Honest.

Although it was pretty dang amusing. And I could probably be persuaded to go again.

There were quite a few comic-con type stereotypical people there. And I LOVE stereotypes.

People dressed up in Star Wars, or Super Hero costumes.

There was a panel discussion about a sci-fi zombie tv show- The Walking Dead (I think) with the writer and some actors, and people could ask questions ("What do you like to collect?")
So the overall theme seemed to be zombies. There were a lot of zombies running around. There were even a couple of zombie girls on the end of dog catcher poles being led around by official looking zombie catchers, and the girls were snarling and snapping at each other and innocent bystanders (especially other zombies that happened to be milling about checking out the comic books and dolls collectible action figures. "It's not a doll!")

Yes, I know, I am admitting what a judgmental person I am, and it is wrong to make fun of other people, (never to their faces- as if that makes me a better person) and in many cases it is a serious case of "the pot calling the kettle black"- for instance, it's no secret that I struggle with my own weight issues, so I should be more sensitive to others, however, I still can't help but giggle internally when I see a very overweight girl dressed up like a fairy. Imagine me, with 50 more pounds, in a blue leotard, and tiny blue wings on my back, running around in public.

So to answer any questions anybody might have- No, I did not stand in the ridiculously long line to get an autograph from actors I've never heard of that star in a show I've never heard of, I am not the proud new owner of any action figures or comic books, vintage and rare or otherwise. In my attempt to blend in I did wear a Gryffindor t-shirt, but I still don't think I really fit in. I am however, now the proud new owner of a bootleg copy of the Broadway musical Wicked.

Guy pawning the probably not-so-legal DVD's- "That's the New York Cast"
Me- "Original Broadway cast, or another cast?"
Guy- "Uh..."
Me- "Who is starring in it? Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth?"
Guy- "Uh????"

(It was another cast. I bought it anyway. Madison is obsessed with the music, and she loves to watch youtube clips from the show. I figured this was a little better.)

Also a "visitor" ID badge to the Jeffersonian Institute- Where Dr. Brennan works in my fave TV show -Bones. (and Seeley Booth's and Chuck Bartowski's ID badges- I couldn't resist)

(Admit it- some of you are silently, or not so silently, laughing at and/or judging me now. Ü)

1 comment:

Beverly B. said...

Interesting! Not my type of crowd either but it is always fun to people watch! Ryan would have loved the storm-trooper.