Thursday, December 8, 2011

I'm just here for the food- part 1.5

My cousin Jessica, left me a comment on my post about eating in Belgium and I thought it warranted an answer in the form of it's own post.

Yes, I did eat a waffle.  Smothered in dark Belgian chocolate and strawberries.  And yes, it was good, but, I gotta be honest, not great.

I've had better.  And readers in Utah will rejoice in knowing that so far, the best Belgian waffles I've ever had are in Salt Lake City. True story.

I am sure that there are some in Belgium that can rival those found at Bruges Waffles and Frites,  but the waffle I had wasn't one of them.  The toppings were delicious and plentiful, but the waffle itself left a little to be desired. 

While I am sure the ingredients were top-notch, the waffle was a little rubbery.  It was a touristy area, and it was a slow night because of the rain, and they had a stack of waffles waiting to be re-warmed when some tourist walked in and ordered one.

On the other hand, in Salt Lake, you can get a waffle made by Belgian, with ingredients imported from Belgium, made fresh when you order it.  Every time I go there, I ask myself why I am not eating there EVERY SINGLE DAY of my stay in Utah.  You can tell the owner takes pride in his little establishment and the food he serves, as opposed to some employee handing out waffles to the tourists who in many cases don't know any better.

Anyway, so that's good news to most people.  Odds are anybody reading this will find themselves in Utah before they do in Belgium.  And if you haven't been, do your self a favor and stop by and have yourself a waffle, and some frites. (fries) you won't be sorry.

2 comments:

AZ Smurfette said...

YUM! now i'm hungry!

Tom said...

I swear . . . one of these days I am going to eat there. Reading that made my mouth water!