Thursday, December 15, 2011

success!

I am actually writing this in January, but plan to pre-date this sometime in December.  I got way behind in blogging, and I like to turn each year's worth of blogs into a book, so I want to make sure that the events were officially recorded in the year they happened.

Ok, so here's something I was seriously afraid I would NEVER get to blog about, Christopher is officially potty trained!!!!

NO MORE KIDS IN DIAPERS!!!

woo-hoo!!!

We've been working with Christopher for a few months (years) but only seeing progress these past few months. (those teachers at his school are ANGELS) I was actually daring to hope that I might be done with diapers before Nick's birthday because I was really hoping to NOT be able to say that I have been changing diapers for MORE THAN 15 years - STRAIGHT.  (not including the two years total time that I had two kids in diapers at different times.)  Potty training has truly been the bane to my existence.

Anyway, usually I send Christopher to school in underwear, then change him into a pull-up when he comes home because he usually poops in the afternoon, and I really hate swishing out dirty underwear in the toilet.  (I admit to sometimes just throwing them away)  He had the peeing part down, but he wasn't interested at all in working on the second part of the potty training equation.

But when I was gone to science camp, John forgot to.  He forgot to put him in pull-ups.  He even forgot to change him before he put him to bed.  He could have had a potential mess on his hands, but he didn't. In fact, it's been a month, and he has had ZERO night time accidents (I totally know I just jinxed myself), and only one real accident since then as well.

So a month later, I finally feel confident in announcing that Christopher is officially potty trained.* (I've been somewhat quiet about it up until now because I didn't want to jinx myself)

So, woo-hoo!  I REALLY worried this day would NEVER come.

Also, given that today is actually January 1st, a day when people think about new years resolutions, I would like it noted that "potty training Christopher" has been on my list for at least a couple years now, along with losing weight, and if I had to pick one resolution to finally get to keep, I totally would have picked the potty training one, so I am pretty stoked about being able to cross that one off.  

I think what really tipped the scales in our favor was that Christopher finally figured out that he can get out of church several times in one day just by announcing he needs to go to the bathroom.  It's quite powerful.  He's figured out we are both happy to encourage him, and afraid he might have an accident.  Another reason why we sit in the back. By a door.

In other news, if anybody is interested, I have some boys' size large pull-ups I am happy to give away for FREE. :)

*(except for swimming lessons -which has turned into an EVERY SINGLE TIME occurrence. - Hopefully he will get that under control before summer)

No comments: