Sunday, August 12, 2012

Lucy in the Skyy with diamonds

Ok so I've been trying something new with the last half dozen or so posts. (because I like to try new things, and then give up on them randomly)

It actually started as a coincidence. First I was being silly and because I couldn't think of anything better so I titled the post about river rafting "Row Row Row your boat".

The next post was about our little excursion to the National Park Craters of the Moon.   And the title just popped into my head, "Fly me to the moon".

One is an accident.  Two is a coincidence.  But three is a pattern.  And when I titled the next post "The wheels on the bus" I knew I had to keep going.  Plus, it was fun. It's challenging.  And so I've been trying to come up with song titles to go with each post.

I had to set guidelines for myself.  Like it had to be a classic, or something at least well known.  And  I couldn't use groups or singers I have a total disdain for.  Like Lady Gaga. Or New Kids on the Block. Or Michael Jackson.  (unless the song is oh so perfect, and then I might drop my standards just that once)

And just so you know, today's title isn't a typo. It was either that or "The Vodka Song" or "Vanilla Twilight". Neither of which I have ever heard of, and besides, the Beatles is more ME.

Oh and my friend Chelsa (whom I ran this by to see if it was a dumb idea) thought that I should include a line from every song at like the end of each post.  I might have to do that, and go back and edit that into the previous posts :)

Anyway- here's my story about buying vodka.

In Utah I scored a bunch of vanilla beans from a friend who claimed they were old and she was just going to chuck them, so I came home and started a second bottle of home made vanilla. I already have a bottle of dark rum going, so I thought I'd use those little mini bottles that John sweetly brought home awhile ago. 

I used this cute bottle I picked up in Utah. (I called my mom that night to buy be another one so my vanillas could be in matching bottles, I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place)  After pouring in the vodka and adding the beans, I realized I needed more. So I went to the store.

When I was relating this story to a friend, her comment was, "You went to our store?!? What if someone saw you?"   I was afraid of that.  I had exactly two things in my basket, so if I ran into the Bishop and his wife (like John did when buying my rum) there would be no way to hide it.

Anyway, I go up to the register, the lady asks to see my ID, so I show her, and then her eyes bug out of her head, and she does a total double take.  Apparently to her I didn't look my age.  (I guess I should do my hair and make-up more often) I just smiled and thanked her and told her she just totally made my day.

Feeling so young and high on life, I went home and acted like a teenager (at least the ones I see on facebook) and took a bunch of pictures of myself (in my bathroom no less- cause that's where teenagers seem to like to take pictures of themselves.) 

I even tried (and failed) to make some of those faces that seem so popular with the younger set. 
(seriously, what is up with that?)

So, my vanilla is still stewing, but admittedly I didn't add all the vanilla beans.  This project might take awhile.  I thought the beans were still usable in something else first.  (ice cream, creme brulee, custard...)  Fortunately now that I am going back to weight watchers, (the summer did a number on my diet) I am fantasizing about all the things I could make that would kill my diet, thereby increasing the odds that I will actually use them.

~~~~~~~~

"Picture yourself on a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies".- The Beatles

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Love it! (The song titles, that is.) Also, after reading your first post about homemade vanilla I waited for sales on vodka, shopped around for vanilla beans, and have since made two batches. I can never go back to store bought vanilla extract. Homemade is so aromatic and flavorful. I am so glad you blogged about it. I think I will try rum for my next jar. :)

Miss said...

Ha ha! I love your "teenage photos". Plus, I totally noticed your pattern too and I love it!

AZ Smurfette said...

Ha ha ha! love the pics! And the vodka, hee hee. and your title!!