Friday, September 25, 2015

High School Football

I'll be honest, I'm not much of a football fan.  I only watch games on the rare occasion that it's the social thing to do.  High school wasn't much different.  I only went to our high school games because all my friends went and it was the thing to do on Friday nights.

So I am proud to say that after over four years of having at least one kid attend high school, I went to the local high school game.  I think we lost.  I can't remember.  I wasn't really paying attention.

(Side note -Winning and losing doesn't really matter to me, although I'm sure the players would disagree.  I actually have a more skewed opinion of the matter.  My high school team really sucked. Like REALLY.  We were the worst in the district.  If you were a boy and had any real talent at all, you got a boundary exception and went to a different high school.  Any other High School, just not mine.  However, without inflated egos, the team we did manage to pull together seemed to be just about the coolest guys.  They were genuinely likeable.   The baseball team, not so much.  We always took State.  Our team was literally #1.  Every year.  All those guys were jerks.  I really, really disliked them.  It could be that baseball breeds jerks, and football breeds awesome guys, but I'm choosing to believe ego & humility have a little bit to do with it as well.  Not that I'm saying that kids shouldn't do their best, and participation trophies are stupid, because they are, I'm just saying that from the experience of a rather not-so-popular girl's opinion.  )

Anyway....

I went to my first High School football game!  

It was fun.

But once again I was all about the social.

That and Zach got to play with the High School Marching Band.  Which is of course the real reason I was there.

And he loved it.  So I foresee quite a few more football games in the future.  And then I'll be all about the social AND the halftime show.  And maybe I'll try to pay attention to the game occasionally.

No comments: