Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Aaarrrrr, Mateys!

We'd been suspecting something was wrong with Nick's eyes for awhile now. My dad mentioned something a year or so ago, he said he thought Nick had a lazy eye, but honestly I pretty much dismissed it, because I hadn't noticed anything.

It got worse this year though. The school nurse suggested we should see an optometrist. Nick announced he was "left-eyed" meaning he could see great out of his left eye, but his right eye was totally blurry. The he said he freaked out a bunch of kids at school one day when unbeknownst to him his right eye wandered off and was staring sideways.

Our vision insurance totally bites. I have the choice of overpaying at Target or Sears for all my family's vision needs. Fortunately for us though, we happen to be friends with a couple of great eye doctors and so while I had my own vision checked at Sears, I am thankful I know a couple of someones that I would have a lot more faith in to take care of my boy.

I'm glad I did too. Nick needs glasses, he also has to wear a patch over his good eye for several hours a day, and then if we are lucky he gets to have surgery to help correct his eyes. (something to look forward to!) The good news is the Dr. doesn't think he has a brain tumor, so you know, that's awesome.

Nick's being a good sport. He has a good attitude about it. (But he has a pretty good attitude about most things) He's glad we're dealing with this during the summer, so hopefully by the time school starts it won't be much of an issue. He's just upset they dilated his eyes, and his bad eye is so bad he can't read right now. Or even watch TV. He's walking around the house pretty blind right now. But he did let me color a pirate eye-patch over the bandage for a better photo-op.

3 comments:

Jill P. said...

Sorry to hear about Nick's vision problems. I hope he gets a cooler patch to wear for every day. That's great that he's not totally bummed out about it.

Thatcher Family said...

Fun times. Welcome to my world!! Brooke has been wearing glasses and a patch (2 hours every day) for about 2.5 years. I'm surprised no one noticed this sooner. Does his eye drift out or in?

Jessica said...

That's crazy about Nick's eyes! There's never a dull moment in your family, Kirsten!