Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Spanish Inquisition

Zach must be really bored because he's been asking me pretty random questions lately

Zach- "Who is your favorite composer, Mozart or Beethoven?"

Me- "Uh," (having never pondered this question before in my LIFE) "Who is yours?"

Zach- "Mozart." (only Zach pronounces it (Moze-art)

Zach- "What was your favorite grade in school and why?"

Me- "Huh?"

Zach- "You know kindergarten, first grade, second grade..."

Me- " Okay, first grade because I had a really great teacher, Mrs. Rustad. She had a guitar and we'd have singing time every day. I learned songs like "On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese, I lost my poor meat ball when somebody sneezed." (I'll spare you the rest of the lyrics I sang to the kids)

Zach - "Do you remember any other songs?"

Me- "Um there was this one about a girl who wore boxes without topses for shoes, but I think she drowned."

I have no idea where this line of questioning came from. I'm just worried about the kinds of questions he's going to be asking when he's older. The only kind of question I remember asking my mom when I was six years old is what her favorite color was. I had to bug her about it several times, and when she finally answered "green" I was horrified. Green!?!? When there are so many better colors out there like pink and red and purple? Oh also, I remember trying to confirm that I was indeed her favorite child. (she would never confirm this fact, but how could it be not so?)

Also I'd just like to say I also really liked my kindergarten teachers, Mrs. Bernini and Mrs. Coleman. I was lucky enough to have Mrs. Coleman for several more years as she moved up to 6th grade when I was in 5th grade (I still had her for reading and math) and then she was my 6th grade teacher and my Social Studies teacher in 7th, 8th, and 9th grades. I also got to be her TA (teacher's assistant) in 9th grade. I miss her.

Also I'm seriously impressed that I remembered the whole meatball song. My kids were pretty impressed too.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Has Zach read "The Friend" recently? My kids asked me similar questions, but I noticed Sass was reading them from "The Friend". And what, pray tell, is wrong with the color green?

Jill P. said...

That's great! I love the questions. You ought to feel flattered that he's interested in your opinions.

Kirsten said...

Nancy- I've got nothing against green now, but as a 6 year old, it was down there with brown. I think it had something to do with nature- you know grass is green and leaves are green, but grass grows in the brown dirt, and leaves grow on brown trees, and brown was ugly.

Now as an adult, I've changed my tune a little bit. most of the rooms in my house are painted shades of green or brown (mostly brown)