Sunday, November 15, 2009

Frankly, I'm surprised I haven't done this before.

Let me paint a picture for you- It is a beautiful Sunday morning. The weather outside is gorgeous, but I am sitting inside thoroughly enjoying the Primary program that is being presented to us this day. We got to church on time, Nick saved us a seat (because he has to be there super early) and Christopher is behaving himself, for the most part anyway. I have to remind him to be quiet, and shush him a little bit, but at least I am sitting on a comfortable bench, listening to my two middle children sing their primary songs. The only thing that would have made it better is if John were in town, but I'll take what I can get. I have no other complaints.

And then, with 15 minutes to spare, I feel a little tickle in the back of my throat. I try to clear my throat, but that doesn't work. I can feel a cough coming on. And not just any cough- the loud, hacking, body bent over double kind. And I'm not even sick. I promise. I frantically grab a mint from my purse, thankfully I still had a couple Halls cough drops left over from my last cold 3 months ago, but it's too late. I can feel it building, and I know if I don't get out of there fast, I am going to hack all over the poor family with their little kids in front of us.

I was going to make a scene. And people were going to turn around and stare, and maybe give me dirty looks like I had the plague or something.

What I needed was to excuse myself quickly and discretely so I could hack up my lung in the hallway on the way to the drinking fountain.

Unfortunately Christopher saw me start to leave and he decided to accompany me, and the combination of his feet, the fact that I was wearing heels, and my complete lack of grace prevented my discrete departure. Much to the amusement of the people in the rows behind us, I fell flat on my face in the aisle.

I recovered as quickly as possible, leaving only a layer of skin off my knee and my dignity behind.

Naturally I couldn't go back in when everything was under control and a band aid was located, so Christopher and I went and hung out in the nursery and set up chairs and stuff.

After church a friend came up to me and said "I just have to give you a hug. You have been the bright spot in my day all day. Every time I think of you, I laugh."

Glad I could be of service. (I'm also really glad my dress didn't fly up- cause wow, nobody needs to see that)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

dangit! how did I miss that!!

Jill P. said...

I hope your knee and your dignity have both recovered!