Saturday, February 20, 2010

what are you saying? huh?

I can't decide if this is his way of telling me I need to step up my housekeeing skills, or whether he's offering to help.

Something tells me it's the first option. My children only obediently and quickly clean when there is a fair amount of guilt and/or fear involved. Which, you know, is totally awesome parenting on my part.

Last night I came home from church to find lemonade spilled all over my kitchen, which no one else had noticed, and therefore no one attempted to clean it up, or even contain it. Sticky footprints were everywhere. That's in addition to the usual mess of stuff left out, 47 cups on the counter, overflowing garbage can, garbage on the table and counter (probably because there was no room in the trash can.), toys strewn from one end of the kitchen to the other, Valentines scattered on the floor (I guess I am being redundant there, I already mentioned the trash everywhere)...

I could go on, and on.

Really. I just deleted 4 whole paragraphs on my frustrations at getting the kids to take care of their responsibilities. I decided I didn't need to go into details.

So what do you think? is that little assignment for school directed at me as if to say "Mom, I'd really appreciate it if you'd clean up all our toys in the toy room so you can take down the Christmas tree that is still up"? or should I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he really and truly wants to help? or was it just a dumb assignment to him that he has already forgotten about, and he only wrote that down because that was one of the suggestions the teacher put out there?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Your totally awesome parenting methods sound just like my totally awesome parenting methods. Maybe he wrote it because he feels guilty. Maybe he realizes that he has a share in creating the mess but that he hasn't shared the responsibility of cleaning it up. Maybe he was thinking of his dear sweet mother who works so hard (as a single parent much of the time) and he resolved that this new year he would be the best son ever and help his mom in a way he thought she would appreciate the most. Or maybe the teacher was listing some ideas and said "for instistence this year I want to keep my house clean" and he thought okay I'll go with that too.