The other day as the boys were getting ready to go on their campout, and Madison and I were plotting our evening on what would be a historical night ( It is the very first time ever that all the boys were going, leaving just us girls home alone. Side note- John wasn't that thrilled about taking Christopher, and I was sympathetic for about half a minute until I remembered I took them all to Disneyland by myself. ) Madison asked- "Since the boys get a fathers and sons campout, do the girls get anything like that, that's just for us?" "Yes. It's called fathers and sons." But you know, instead of playing in dirt, we get pedicures. And instead of eating burnt weenies cooked over the fire, we go out to eat.
So I have to confess. I cheated a little bit. While we were getting our pedicures and discussing what we wanted to do for dinner, at some point Madison's face fell a little, and her smile turned sad, and she said "Oh. You can't eat any of that stuff." "That's okay, honey." I reassured her. "I'll be fine. The point is to spend time with you." She made some comment that it just wouldn't be as fun, and her smile didn't return until I decided that one night of cheating wouldn't kill me. (After all I did lose 6 lbs last week!)
We went to Subway for dinner. Madison picked it. She was thinking of me, that if I was going to cheat, it shouldn't be too bad. Of course later on in the evening I treated the two of us to some fancy chocolates and we shared a cup of hot chocolate as we walked around the mall.
For awhile now, Madison has been bothered by the fact that she doesn't need glasses. The fact that there is an accessory out there that she can't have makes her crazy. So when she found a $9 pair of fake glasses at the mall, she persuaded me to get them for her.
We ended the evening watching movies in my bed and having "a sleepover".
My favorite part of the night? "When she grabbed my hand right in the teenager section of the mall, and said, "I love you, mom."

4 comments:
How fun for you two. That is a great picture of both of you.
This is why I get sad that I don't have a daughter.
She is definitely a miniature version of you. How cute!
You look great!! You go girl!
What a fun evening. I don't feel sorry for John having all the boys either. Of course if Maddie actually had to wear glasses all the time she wouldn't think they were so great.
Post a Comment