Thursday, August 5, 2010

Harry


When I heard Harry Connick, jr was going to be in NYC for a two week stint on Broadway, I begged John to find a reason to have to go to NYC. (Sometimes he has control over these things, mostly not though.)

Unfortunately those two weeks coincided with the two weeks we would be in Europe. (And even if I had a choice, Europe would have still won)

So, with a heavy sigh, I pushed it out of my mind. I'd been to his concerts before, and I was sure I would get another opportunity.

Fast forward a few weeks. Our travel plans changed slightly, and we ended up spending one night in NYC before going our separate ways. (John had to fly off to some other city for work)

I was excited to be in NYC for a night until I realized it was Monday Night. If you are a fan of Broadway and you are going to spend only one night in NYC, Monday night is the worst night to pick. Most of the shows are closed that night. I hoped we might get lucky and find SOMETHING, but probably not one of our top choices.

And then,

In the cab ride from the airport to our Hotel,

It hit me.

"I think Harry is in town!"

Could I be that lucky? Could he still be in town, AND be playing on a Monday night, AND the tickets NOT be sold out?

Yes! Yes! and YES!!!

We actually got pretty good tickets to boot.

It was such a good show too.

I could go on and on about it all. How he just randomly started up a conversation with this 80+ year old guy a few rows in front of me who happened to be a former professional football player, and ended up convincing the guy to sing while Harry accompanied him (he got a standing ovation). How he made his shy teenage daughter come out to say hi. How he pulled out a trumpet and started playing. Um, hello! since when does he play the trumpet? And then of course he totally rocked the piano. And the singing. Oh, the singing. (Big Sigh)

After the concert I think I like him more than ever. And I didn't think that was even possible.

It was a good night. A really, really good night. (thanks, John!)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Forget Europe. I am SO jealous of this.