So I had to pretty much quit Catz. Somehow, several months ago, I hurt my shoulder and it's not getting better. Some days are better than others, but some days I can't even carry my purse on my right shoulder. And I haven't been able to sleep on my right side in months. Let's just say I am getting pretty good at being left handed in some things. (and yes, I know I need to go see a doctor, but that's another story)
So I quit, because I can't do half the stuff they want me to do there. I could go and modify the work outs, but I am pretty limited to running, squats, lunges, and sit-ups. Which kindof defeats the purpose of paying them when I am making up my own work out there on my own. I can do that at home for free. (well, if I were motivated to at any rate.)
So, I decided to take up walking, it's not the same, but it's something. (and maybe, just maybe consider thinking about attempting to run for a minute or two during said walk)
Simple enough, right?
But then my trusty gym shoes disappear.
So then I go buy new ones. Remember my whole blog post about "the shoes chooses you" where they pick the shoe for you that best suits your foot?
And then after I get home, I notice this little red Nike+ oval on it. And the box tells me there is a sensor in my shoe that that connects with a free app for my iphone which I can use to keep track of distance, speed, calories burned, etc.
Pretty cool, eh? So I download the app, and my phone tells me to walk around to activate the sensor in my shoe.
So I walk and I walk.
I hop, jump, skip, run around, stomp my feet, play a crazy game of follow the leader with my kids, for at least a half an hour until it occurs to me that maybe the box wasn't telling me there is a sensor in my shoes, maybe, just maybe it is telling me I can buy a sensor for my shoe.
Oh. huh. I guess that would make sense. Hmmm. I feel stupid. Of course they wouldn't give it to me for free...
I was getting kinda excited about that sensor, and ended up heading to my local apple store to pick one up.
And then I decided for extra motivation I need new music, so I ask for help on facebook, if people could give me suggestions for good workout music, and people were helpful (but I am ALWAYS on the lookout so if any of my blogger friends have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them)
But then I remember the last time I had to get my phone fixed, I lost all my playlists, and for some reason I was having trouble syncing and updating the music on my phone, and I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure it out, so then I decide that I will take pictures of the computer screen with my phone, so I can take it to apple and show them something is wrong with either my phone or the itunes website. It was then I noticed this one stupid little box that I had forgotten to check. I'm just glad I noticed it before I made the appointment and went in and wasted a couple hours only to make a fool of myself.
Shoes? check. Sensor? check. New music? check.
Just as I think I am ready to go, we hit a ridiculously cold spell here for awhile.
Like, I am not wondering if, but how many of my bushes died.
Like Nick was telling me about hitting a patch of ice on the sidewalk, thanks to someone's sprinklers, and landed flat on his back on the way to school.
Like as in I just had to snap this picture of a frozen waterfall near our house. Cause you don't see that very often 'round these parts.
And I'm a total wuss. I'd rather stay home and curl up in a blanket and read a book than go out and brave the frozen tundra. (Of course in two months, it will be too hot to walk...)
And at long last, I am ready head out to go for a walk and start burning off all these calories from all the girl scout cookies I bought.
Now my problem is my new shoes. They feel great on, but they are more of a "structured" shoe, to help correct the way I walk. (apparently I have goofy ankles, and am prone to hurting myself walking across a flat surface) But all that new structure is giving me blisters. At the advice of a friend I bought some cushioned running socks, and that helps marginally, so I have a few questions rolling around in my brain. Some kind of gel inserts? Will that counteract the structure? Hope my feet get used to it and develop callouses in the right spots?
I know. wah. wah. It's just so annoying. In theory walking is easy. and free. In reality, not so much.
And yes, it goes without saying I should lay off the girl scout cookies as well.
(but seriously folks, any suggestions on workout music is appreciated.)

7 comments:
I know how you feel!
Oh Phooey...sorry about the socks. That did the trick for me. Have you talked to a podiatrist? Maybe just calling an office nurse, maybe they could point you in the right direction? Or google it... ;) you know, others with your same 'goofy ankles'. ;) Your words-not mine!
Haaaa! Miss. Excuses! Ha ha ha! you are hilarious! I'll email you GOOD music!
Oh and I love that frozen waterfall! I saw it too!
When you get your new workout playlist send it my way, please. I need all the motivation I can get right now. And what is the name of those fancy new shoes?
Nancy- my shoes are Nike Structure 13's. I really like them, and I really like the little Nike+ thingy I bought. (it was $19 I think) still working on the magic playlist, and normally I would worry about you judging me and my music taste, but I now know you have the backstreet boys on your ipod, (I wouldn't be caught dead) so I'm good with sharing.
Hey, I also have Eminem; Peter, Paul and Mary; and Josh Groban on there. What can I say, I have eclectic taste in music.
Post a Comment